Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well. I feel like an idiot.

I have owned my JK for about 2 months now. I have been anxiously waiting out bad weather and rain to find a time to remove the doors and hard top.

Finally, today and tomorrow has a forecast of nice and sunny days. I removed my freedom panels, unattached the rear windshield wiper cables and removed all of the screws. On the very last one, it looked like it was originally installed a little at an angle. I tried to get it unscrewed but unfortunately it, very surprisingly easily, stripped the screw. Now the Torx bit won't catch inside of it and I can't get the very last screw out. If I can get the screw out I guess I could buy another one but I'm not sure what to do to get it out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Tool companies make screw/bolt extractor kits. I've honestly only used one once, and that was years ago at tech school. I think a good set and skills greatly aid in success. That said, I would put a few bolts back in and go to a local shop and see if you can pay them to remove. I'm affraid, if you go DIY, you may waste more time and money, and worse strip away more usable surface area if it fails to work.
Hopefully a little shop may be able to get you in and out real quick. Sorry, I'm sure this is frustrating to finally get a nice day and one stupid bolt is burning daylight.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Visegrips
Be patient, don't try and turn too much, make sure you get a v strong grip when the grips lock down.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well. I feel like an idiot.

I have owned my JK for about 2 months now. I have been anxiously waiting out bad weather and rain to find a time to remove the doors and hard top.

Finally, today and tomorrow has a forecast of nice and sunny days. I removed my freedom panels, unattached the rear windshield wiper cables and removed all of the screws. On the very last one, it looked like it was originally installed a little at an angle. I tried to get it unscrewed but unfortunately it, very surprisingly easily, stripped the screw. Now the Torx bit won't catch inside of it and I can't get the very last screw out. If I can get the screw out I guess I could buy another one but I'm not sure what to do to get it out. Any ideas?
Depending on how badly it is stripped. You can try putting a little valve lapping compound on the torx bit. Wouldn't hurt any and I've had some great luck with it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Vice grips would probably be my first try. They also make a "screw out" product that most big stores will sell. I know Craftsman has a version, and probably Home Depot, Lowes, etc... This one may be a little trickier as they are normally used in conjuction with a drill or power driver. Depending on where the torx bolt is located, the space may be tight to work on it with a screw out and drill combo. You may want to figure out what size and thread pitch the bolts are, and after getting it out, run a tap of appropriate size into the hole to clean out the threads if you suspect the original one was cross threaded. Taps are available most anywhere and just have the same threaded pattern as the bolt/screw you are using along with a "t" handle to hold onto and twist it in and out. The metal is harder than the metal on the bolt hole and there are recessed parts on the tap to handle any shavings in the bolt hold, if the threads are messed up and it ends up making a new thread pattern. As for replacement torx bolts, I have seen them on Ebay and Amazon just doing a simple search like "Jeep top torx bolts" Lastly, make sure you are using the proper size torx head when working with these bolts. I can't remember size off hand, but the torx pattern bit on the ratchet should completely fill the torx void in the bolt. A smaller one may turn the bolts to some extent, but will end up rounding off the torx pattern and stripping it very quickly. I have dealt with a lot of stripped screws in much tighter places and successfully removed them. If you use a bit of time and patience along with some good tools, you should have no problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
+1 on the hard top thumb screws. But for about half the price of the Warrior Products Hard Top Quick Release Kit, you can grab a similar (but more slim) set here:

Hard Top Fast Removal Screw Fastener Kit for Jeep Wrangler JK 2007 Through 2015 | eBay

I hit the tops of rubber-lined washers with some leftover black high-temp paint from my muffler painting project and then a coupla coats of matte-finish poly just to keep 'em looking nice.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
IF the vise grips won't get the job done I take a dremel and CAREFULLY cut a slot length wise in the bolt head.
I light squirt of penetrating oil on the threads and wait about 15 minutes. then with a large flat tipped screwdriver attempt to back the bolt out.

If that doesn't do it you'll need to step up and put the vise grips down low on the shank of the screwdriver. With as much downward force as you can apply turn/push the vise grips to undo the bolt.

You may have to cut the bolt head off to finally remove the top and to get the cross threaded nut out for replacement.
Please keep in mind, we are giving this information to you: not knowing your mechanical ability.

·
Registered
471 Posts
there are all kinds of tricks and tips for different types of screws/bolts/fasteners.. and all of them may require a different method for differing conditions.

it is best to take a few pictures of your screw and post them so we can give more detailed/specific advice.

it really isn't that hard... but again pictures will help us help you.

drilling out screws/carving slots, easy outs/etc... all good but not specific ...

so, get some pics and post them

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
if it REALLY wont come out, weld a nut to it.
I have had this work on small stuff I think the heat was the main factor alone.

Welding isn't a good option, I think as we don't know which screw is cross threaded. An experienced welder with the right equipment MAY be able to effect the right weld with the best protection, but I would certainly be sure this would be the very last resort I would use in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Pics would be great...another combination of things I didn't see suggested...however it is also LEAST invasive......PB Blaster at base of the screw. (it may not help but it cant hurt) JB weld in your torx head bit to the the inside of the screw, using this to "attach" the bit to/ inside the bolt. allow to set completely. Then try to back it out. If you can SAFELY get some heat to the bolt it wouldn't hurt. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone for the tips! I was finally able to get it out using a combination of the T40 torx bit (one size larger) and vicegrips. Riding with the top and doors off is a blast!

I wil definitely look into the thumb screws. Those look like a great idea

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
Seeing how this set comes with 6 bolts, I am assuming you keep using the original bolts on top of the roof/roll bar?
Are you talking about the two bolts that hold the Freedom panels in place or something else? With the aftermarket bolt kit you no longer need a Torx bit or any other hand tools to remove the hard top.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do these still keep it on pretty well? I had been thinking about buying these, seems worth it to me to save time on removing the top!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts