Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys/girls. I was unbolting my skid plate on my 2000 tj and I couldn't get 2 of the 6 bolts off so I gave up for the day. I went to tighten up the 4 i was able to loosen up and they were all free spinnning. I am guessing that they are stripped but I didn't have much problem getting them loose in the first place. Is there a nut inside of the frame that the skid plate rests up against or is it set up some other way. I will cut the plate off and see what is going on. WOW, all of this hassle just to get at my muffler. WTF. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,001 Posts
That's a common problem but unfortunately there is no easy fix. What happens is the nut that is welded inside the frame breaks free & then you're in a pickle. The fix pretty much needs either a welder or the setting of nutserts into the frame. This problem hasn't happened to me so I can't offer first-hand advice other than to do a search, especially over in the TJ Technical forum at www.jeepforum.com where this problem has been discussed with various ways of fixing it many times over the years.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jerry

That's a common problem but unfortunately there is no easy fix. What happens is the nut that is welded inside the frame breaks free & then you're in a pickle. The fix pretty much needs either a welder or the setting of nutserts into the frame. This problem hasn't happened to me so I can't offer first-hand advice other than to do a search, especially over in the TJ Technical forum at www.jeepforum.com where this problem has been discussed with various ways of fixing it many times over the years.
I have been away for some time and I forgot my old passwords but I am back and I knew you would come through Jerry... Thanks again and I will keep searching. I am actually excited considering I havent had any issues to deal with on my 2000 Tj for over a year. Thanks

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
When my rig was brand new this happened to me when i went to install my lift. Since my Jeep was under warranty I brought it into the dealership to let them deal with it.
I watched as they used a large pry bar to put some load against the skid plate, pulling it away from the frame one tech pulled on the pry bar while the other used an impact wrench to spin the bolt. The load of the pry bar kept the nut from spinning in the frame enough to remove the bolts. At one point they even had two techs hanging from the pry bar while one worked the bolt out.

After they got the skid off, they welded the nutserts in place in the frame, touched up the paint and then re-installed the skid.

It's a real PITA. Good luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Black magic brakes (blane) has the nutserts and an instruction video I am going to be doing the same thing in june... I think the link to his site is in the vendor area or the Google

1 - 5 of 5 Posts