Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'93 YJ 4.0L 6cyl, ARB air lockers, 4" lift, 33s, Warn M6000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all - I just picked up a Bestop Supertop for my 93 YJ and need to remove the T40 torx at the windshield. I was able to get 3 of the 4 torx bolts out, but one of them is stripped way down. I've done a bit of searching and it seems like trying to weld a nut on to the top of the flathead would be the best way to get it out. Anyone know how feasible this is inside the cab? I don't want to go chasing down a welder to do this if it's going to scorch the dash or the seats with flying sparks. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get a stripped T40 out? Could you use JB weld and attach a nut to the head?

Any help appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,222 Posts
I had to replace my windshield frame when I first got my Jeep in 2014. One spreader bar torx bolt was already buggered up. I used a thin flat blade on a die grinder to cut a slot in the bolt head so that I could use a flat bladed screwdriver to remove the buggered bolt. The heat from grinding the slot broke the threadlocker bond that the factory put on all torx bolts. In the pic you can see where the die grinder blade cut a slight slot on the spreader bar flange as I cut the slot in the bolt.. My local hardware store had allen head bolts that fit just right. Once the new windshield frame was installed I painted the entire Jeep. I put the new allen head bolts in after the paint job.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
'93 YJ 4.0L 6cyl, ARB air lockers, 4" lift, 33s, Warn M6000
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LM. Spending some time with a Dremel cutting a slot in the bolt head to do the same thing. Even used a torch to heat it up before trying to use the screwdriver to get it out. May end up having to drill it out carefully if I can't get it to budge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts