Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the stabilizer the first week in july. After torque i put a paint mark on the nut as i did will all my suspension bolts for a quick visual to see if anything loosens. I started getting a metal creaking noise in the front end while steering a few weeks ago after wheeling my 1st trip since the install. I could see the axle have a slight movement side to side while turning the steering wheel. I checked all my bolts and the paint marks hadn’t moved indicating no loosening of the bolts. The noise continues so i got under the jeeps with a torque wrench and i found the stud and nylock nut on the stabilizer wont torque down. It maybe has 40 or 50 lbs of torque. It wont tighten and it will also not back off. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this stipping of the stud or nut on the falcon stabilizer. If so how did you remove the nut. I guees i might be going to my local shop for removal. Just hate paying for work unless its gearing or engine work.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I installed the stabilizer the first week in july. After torque i put a paint mark on the nut as i did will all my suspension bolts for a quick visual to see if anything loosens. I started getting a metal creaking noise in the front end while steering a few weeks ago after wheeling my 1st trip since the install. I could see the axle have a slight movement side to side while turning the steering wheel. I checked all my bolts and the paint marks hadn’t moved indicating no loosening of the bolts. The noise continues so i got under the jeeps with a torque wrench and i found the stud and nylock nut on the stabilizer wont torque down. It maybe has 40 or 50 lbs of torque. It wont tighten and it will also not back off. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this stipping of the stud or nut on the falcon stabilizer. If so how did you remove the nut. I guees i might be going to my local shop for removal. Just hate paying for work unless its gearing or engine work.
Stripped you should still be able to remove the bolt, worst case you cut it off. Get in touch with Teraflex (call), they will get a new bolt out to you ASAP.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Angle grinders are cheap, but in this case you might want to drill out the bolt. Really depends on how well you can control and angle grinder. (I am apparently a jedi master according to some friends that are metal workers and a few drunken wagers over how I said I did something.)

Is that one setup so it extends a threaded rod off the trackbar bolt?

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Picture and I can tell you exactly how to destroy it without damaging other parts.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have seen many reports of this same issue with the Falcon SS. Just installed mine today using the stock nut with flag.

Being aware of the tendency to strip/loosen I started the threads by hand and made sure the nut was not cross-threaded. I also checked the SS bolt threads beforehand and verified they are in fact identical to the OEM bolt. Did not put a torque wrench on it but am pretty sure I got close to 100 ft lbs by using doubled-up wrenches for extra leverage. Will keep a close eye on things; if I experience stripping then something is wrong with the part design.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why Is so much torque needed? Cant even imagine That being needed especially with a lock nut...:popcorn:

·
Registered
83 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
What did you find out. How it holding up.

I had same, noise, and wasn’t sure where it was coming from. I turned steering wheel back and forth until the guys could hear where the noise was coming from having heads under to see where it was coming from.

Is was the stabilizer bolt nut. Tightened it up and noise went way and steering was real smooth after.

Not sure why it did it. Maybe it needs to be retourqed after initial install and a set amount of miles?

I have thought about it since, wondering if it’s still good. Maybe I should get a spare bolt/nut for that Incase for off-road.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts