Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my TJ just under two months ago now. It runs strong with a re-built 2.5 by Jasper sitting at around 55,000 miles, and starts and runs consistently considering the body and suspension has 239000 miles on it. I got the car for dirt cheap for 99 TJ, and not a whole lot was wrong with the car considering the mileage; rust free, new interior seats, engine bay almost completely replaced, rubicon rims and tires with a lift, etc. Many of the components have been replaced.

After bringing home the car and doing some more reading on this forum, I got to digging around under the car really checking for rust or anything else that stood out.

Well I found this (see pics) - the transfer case drain hole appeared to be stripped and the PO threw together some BS fix in which it looks like he either welded a bolt into the drain hole or used sometime of industrial grade sealant to seal the drain hole closed.

I am finally getting around to changing my fluids and now this is a problem. I have a liquid transfer pump which I could use to remove the old fluid via the fill hole, or I could jar free this crappily put together fix for the drain hole and try to fix it.

What are my options? What does it even look like the PO did here? Really appreciate your input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
On the new JB Conversions NP231 transfer cases, they use "set screw/allen head screws." Does that plug even unscrew?

Take care,

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the new JB Conversions NP231 transfer cases, they use "set screw/allen head screws." Does that plug even unscrew?

Take care,
I haven't tested it, but my thinking is that the plug wouldn't unscrew but would rather "break" out of the hole as I applied pressure to the bolt with a socket wrench. I have a breaker bar extension for my wrench. That all said, it may be better for me to let sleeping dogs lie and simply suck out the old fluid with the fluid pump through the fill hole. Obviously there is some leakage occurring around the drain hole creating a "damp" color around the bolt, but it is not enough for me to worry about right now. No fluid has even dripped down into the skid plate.

·
Registered
772 Posts
is it just the plug? is the white glob in pic #2 part of it or just the pic? if it's just the screw i think i'd just pump it out for now-but with out actually seeing what was done, my 1st thought was a self tapping bolt(or threading bit) just slightly larger than the hole-if you can't find one short enough, thread with the long self tapper(or bit) then replace with a shorter bolt of the same thread. but for me it would wait till it warms up.
or you could do it the 100% correct way and drill it out, retap, and replace with a suitable bolt.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would try and take it out. it looks like he stuck that bolt in the allen head plug.. maybe he didnt have the right size allen wrench..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like what I had to do. Allen head stripped so welded bolt in plug. Plug came out after I let it cool. Was late at night parts store closed put back in ,filled transfer case good to go. Hope that is the case:thumb:. good luck!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For anyone interested, I finally got around to changing the transfer case fluid this weekend. I didn't mess with the stripped out drain plug and simply used a fluid transfer pump to suck out the old fluid from the fill hole. This worked perfectly well and I was content with the end result. IMHO, I am going to leave that transfer case drain hole plug alone.

·
Registered
769 Posts
That should work. Unless it has major issues, that shouldn't be a problem. Don't know why people crank down on those plugs, it's not pressurized

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
mrobinso,

I am glad you were able to change your fluid. Being an "old" restorer and "shade tree" mechanic, I get annoyed when I see things like that. It just looks "half _ss" BUT I totally understand why you do it. (Oh, and I am definitely NOT annoyed at you, only the person who did it originally. It gives mechanics a bad reputation, even us "shade tree" ones...) If you have to leave it, leave it. I hope it holds up on you and you never have problems.

Take care,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts