Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every single project that requires me to remove a bolt from the frame I find myself stripping them. I managed to remove 3 of the 4 windshield mount bolts for some new light brackets. I ended up stripping one on each side and having to mount the bracket over the stripped bolts. :banghead:
I just got a Smittybuilt Stinger front bumper and stripped one of the bolts underneath that attach the stock bumper to the frame. Now I cant get the Stinger on until I get the stripped bolt off.

1. What method does anyone have to remove a stripped bolt, as painless as possible (basic caveman tools). I have a cool drill, but no welder or plasma cutter or anything awesome that would chop the bolt off.
2. I use WD-40 and a spray grease to help loosen bolts before I try to break them free, I still strip them!!
Any advice? :doh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill get some PB Blaster, I have read on these forums of people using it, but I didnt think it would be a huge difference from some WD-40 and some wrench lubricant.
Still need the garage mechanics stripped bolt removal advice :nonono:

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Cold chisel and hammer--if the bolt head is stripped--there is a "tool" looks like a socket with pins in it--it is beat pressed on to the bolt head and than turned--somethings gotta give bolt breaks comes out or tool breaks.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Heat 'em, shock 'em with an air hammer maybe... hammer driver??? If they're stripped really bad you might want to try and pound the next size larger into it. Or, maybe an allen head would fit w/a hammer depending on how rounded out it is.

·
Registered
615 Posts
All depends on the situation, sometimes vice grips and lots of heat, maybe a well CENTERED hole drilled thru the bolt stepping up in size untill the bolt collapses and then run a tap thru to clean out the hole. Bolt extractors can sometimes help, or easy-outs if the head snapped off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cold chisel and hammer sounded good (primitive tools), then you guys start bringing in air hammers. It sounds like I might need to get some better tools. I have just basics and I would much rather spend money on my jeep than on tools.. HAHAHAH Hmmm.. I might need to go to an automotive shop for some bolt removal.. wonder what they would try to charge me.. dang this is not going well, everything simple for me gets complicated by these stupid bolts that are locked into the frame with nuclear fusion technology. My jeep must have came out of the factory never meant to be taken apart :surrender:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a heat gun, is that going to get hot enough or are you talking a propane type torch? Also, when I tried to heat up the windshield mount bolts, the one bolt by itself under the windshield, I started melting the rubber gasket, so I quit. You know every project now that I do, I start worrying I wont be able to get done because of these bolt issues.

All depends on the situation, sometimes vice grips and lots of heat, maybe a well CENTERED hole drilled thru the bolt stepping up in size untill the bolt collapses and then run a tap thru to clean out the hole. Bolt extractors can sometimes help, or easy-outs if the head snapped off.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I stripped the bolt on my rear axle and my drill didn't have the balls to pull it out. It'd stick but drill would just try to go with no results. I then took a nice sized flat head and pounded it into the head of the bolt and it had a hex socket on the end of the handle. Got a wrench and pushed with one hand turned with the other. I got lucky the flat head would probably be the easiest to break or bend but it worked for me lol. But if you get a big enough one it might work

·
Registered
615 Posts
Heat gun wont do it. You need a Mapp gas torch, the one in the yellow bottle. The windshield bolts are a whole different animal lol. Try a new torx bit with a hand impact driver, put it into the bolt making sure the torx bit is sitting in there good then hit the impact driver with a hammer while turning it at the same time.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
ratuna said:
Heat gun wont do it. You need a Mapp gas torch, the one in the yellow bottle. The windshield bolts are a whole different animal lol. Try a new torx bit with a hand impact driver, put it into the bolt making sure the torx bit is sitting in there good then hit the impact driver with a hammer while turning it at the same time.
That will help too. The bernzomatic torches at home depot for $30ish right? Those are nice to have and good for fireworks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for your advice. I will get a torx driver and maybe a torch. I should like spending money on tools, but I really dont. I would rather upgrade a part over purchasing a tool any day. Next bolt that wont break loose or strips, I am going to flip out. I have this shiny new bumper in my garage that I cant put on now because of some bolts that wont be nice. Maybe my jeep hates me :(

·
Registered
615 Posts
That will help too. The bernzomatic torches at home depot for $30ish right? Those are nice to have and good for fireworks
Yea, as long as it's the yellow mapp gas one and not the blue propane bottle. The Mapp gas burns hotter than the propane

·
Registered
615 Posts
Thank you for your advice. I will get a torx driver and maybe a torch. I should like spending money on tools, but I really dont. I would rather upgrade a part over purchasing a tool any day. Next bolt that wont break loose or strips, I am going to flip out. I have this shiny new bumper in my garage that I cant put on now because of some bolts that wont be nice. Maybe my jeep hates me :(
The more tools you buy the easier it gets, and if you have the tools and do it yourself that saves more money for more parts! Get some anti-seize to put on the threads of the bolts when you put stuff back together so it'll be easier the next time you take those bolts off.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, so with the torch, you just blast heat over the bolt, then try to remove it?

P.S I put a T-55 torx socket on my big ol craftsman and tried cranking on that stupid bolt, leaning my 200lbs and putting everything I had to break the bolt....It laughed at me, so I put a breaker bar over the wrench and commenced again, next thing I am flying back into the garage wall. I thought I had won and when I looked under at the bolt, it was shiny and all I did was strip the bolt, the bolt defeated me, so I am here crying for help :redface:

Yea, as long as it's the yellow mapp gas one and not the blue propane bottle. The Mapp gas burns hotter than the propane

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, it has a star like hole insert, it is the bolt under the bumper that attaches to the bumper to the frame it takes a T-55 Torx Socket (female)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts