Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm fixing to take everything outta the tub so i cna get it line-x'd.... seats, dash, roll bars... everything. anyone got some tips for me?

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
Spray all the bolts down with PB Blaster a day or 2 before you start disassembly. I don't know how far you plan on taking it down but when I did mine, I tore it down 100%. There wasn't one bolt, nut or connector anywhere to be seen. I did a repaint to so a good portion of what I did you won't need to do. Make sure you mark all the holes you don't want covered up.

Here are a couple of pics of my tub before and after for inspiration.

EDIT: Ohh and it helps a lot if you have bins or something divided that you can group and label where each set of nuts and bolts go rather than just a box o bolts.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats exactly what i was planning on doing.... how long did it take you to tear down and reassemble(not counting painting. just inside of tub)? also. did you have any trouble with the roll bars fitting back on due to the thickness after sparying the liner? or anything else for that matter that my be a little hard to put back in?

·
Really?
6,455 Posts
Yeah Reb....

That glue that Jeep uses to hold in the carpet is some good chit! I had to use a hammer and a putty knife to chisel it off! Also, there will be a fair amount of built up crud between the roll bar and the side of the tub, behind the seats which is also a bit of a bear to get out. Other than that... Oh, Almost forgot, mark your seatbelt bolts so you know which one goes where, they look similar, but the length is different on each attaching point.

Good luck!

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
One of the torx bolts stripped in the right rear corner of the roll bars so I had to cut it out. The roll bars were a little harder to get back in and line up but I just went with herculiner so thickness wasn't that much of an issue. Me and the neighbor had it totally stripped in about 24hrs. Reassembly was much longer. I couldn't give you an accurate reassembly time as there were brakes and other projects that I did at the same time. I think that I went from a totally disassembled jeep (drivetrain, suspension and frame too) to driveable in about 2.5 to 3 months.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
theres 4 or so bolts under the windshield frame, so you have to lower the windshield to remove them, i had to cut my windshield hinges, and the dash will come out as one peice, i have pics and i put them up for someone before cuz they took their dash out peice by peice, and that takes way too long.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
why did you have to cut the windshield hinges dave? and as far as carpet is concerned, its been out since the weekend i bought it and the backseat and all its hardware have been gone for about a yr

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
why did you have to cut the windshield hinges dave? and as far as carpet is concerned, its been out since the weekend i bought it and the backseat and all its hardware have been gone for about a yr
A lot of the time the bolts(torx:mad:) don't cooperate and strip out. A couple of mine did. I just drilled em though.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
one of my hinges was seized, and i tried everything for a long time to get them to fold down. i sprayed the hinge for months and worked it back and forth, instead of using the torch i just decided i'm getting new ones anyway, so i cut the one that was seized to fold the windshield down

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got ya.... alright, here's where i'm at... all seats out (cracks in flor board) i'll post up pics later and let yall tell me what you think i need to do about them. windshield folded down. working on the dash but the screws are ruested so bad its dificult. i got the very top bolts and the side bolts out of the seat belts, this is where it gets fun. when trying to take out the 2 bottom bolts (one on each side) the head stripped on one (how do i get it out) and on the passenger side, the bolt broke off. i triedgrabbing the bottom of the bolt with vise grips and pulling it off, but that wasnt working at all..... in the process of trying to get these off i sheared one T50 torx bit in half and twisted another one (thank god for craftsman)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1st of several more specific questions....

here is the drivers side seat belt bolt with the stripped head (1st pic) and the passenger side broken bolts, (2nd pic)
sorry about pic quality they were all taken on my cell phone

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tachometer ?

here is a pic of the back of the tach... i cant figure out how to finish disconnecting it. you'll see where the problem is (wires still attached)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cant disconnect dash backlighting

these wires i guess are used to power the "alert" lights in the dash (brights, parking break, shift, etc) and i cant figure out how to un hook them. mainly i dont wanna pull something that aint supposed to be pulled

the pics are of the left side of the assembly (sitting in the drivers seat) there's an identical set of wires on the right of the assembly

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
biggest issue, cracks in floor

these cracks are in the floor board of the jeep. they are around the bolt holes for the front seats the 1st pic is the pass side, 2nd is drive side.... the cracks are hard to see, but maybe the pics will give you an idea what i'm dealin with so yall can help me out.... i drew some on the pics to help you see where exactly they are

·
Registered
63 Posts
i had the same issue with the cracked floors if that helps :) just disconnected the battery and flatened the floor as much as possible and welded them together and grinded them flat for a smooth surface still holding up!
did you try soaking the bolts in pb blaster as suggested previously? that stuff works wonders!

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, i started soaking them yesterday. so all you did was weld the cracks shut? i wasnt sure if the cracks would try and come back like that, i was thinking i was gonna have to add a plate or something to help strengthin it.... it wouldnt be that hard to deal with if it werent for them durn body channels underneath

·
Registered
63 Posts
if your doing any kind of welding make sure to disconnect the battery so you dont mess up the computer on the car. But yeah, just welded it it shut and seems fine so far, been like 2 months on it and my big behind rides on the side with the welds so its doing good :D

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i found the plug to disconnect (about 5 minutes after i just cut the wires) got the bolts out of the floor and am working on disconnecting all wiring. one question... is it ok to unscrew the fuse box from the firewall or will this cause mass chaos?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Man, I'm not planning on being as industrious as you guys are, I plan to pull the carpet, seats, belts and the center console and go to town! Why ar eyou going to all the trouble of lining behind the dash? Is this really an issue for anyone, or is it just a case of a project gone too far, taken to it's illogical conclusion?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts