Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m strongly considering putting a Stroker into my YJ. I like that idea as it’s a lot easier than putting in a LS. Right now my YJ is a dedicated weekend warrior built for trails. It’s got 4.10 gears locked front and 8.8 rear. The Jeep has 229k miles and runs great.

Right now with the cost of a golen engine and install would be around $5,500. What do you guys and gals think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
This is a can of worms. I have been thinking the same thing for so long now. The problem is that's 5500 minimum to achieve this. You could build a stroker yourself for less than half of that. You could also pay someone to swap a ls for that price.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I have not looked into strokers in depth but i have thought about it here and there over the years. When i started looking into golen strokers i quickly found out they are over priced. If i ever did a stroker i would have the block machined and buy the pars and build it myself. You would get a better engine cheaper in the end.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have been debating this for a couple years also. The stroker is cool and stays all Jeep but the LS is better in every other way. When it comes down to it the simple reliability and turn key operation sells me on the LS.

That being said steeper gears would come before a different engine.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a can of worms. I have been thinking the same thing for so long now. The problem is that's 5500 minimum to achieve this. You could build a stroker yourself for less than half of that. You could also pay someone to swap a ls for that price.

I personally couldn’t build one for that but I get your point.

Also, the LS swap requires a lot more changes since it’s not simply just an engine swap. New Trans, wiring etc.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not looked into strokers in depth but i have thought about it here and there over the years. When i started looking into golen strokers i quickly found out they are over priced. If i ever did a stroker i would have the block machined and buy the pars and build it myself. You would get a better engine cheaper in the end.

Yeah, they are expensive, they and ATK offer a base version for $3k which is about 205 HP compared to 270.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Yeah, they are expensive, they and ATK offer a base version for $3k which is about 205 HP compared to 270.

i have read horror stories about ATK i wouldent let them rebuild the Kohler on my lawn mower.

Reactions: pc1p

·
Registered
777 Posts
I decided to go the stroker route just for the ease of not having to do a bunch of fabrication, wiring and dealing with smog here in California.

I’m going to build my stroker, slowly I might add, as funds allow. I just got a 93-95 4.0 out of a Wrangler. It’s sitting on an engine stand just waiting for me to tear into it.

If I were you I’d join jeepstrokers.com and read a much as you can. Also reach to to Russ. He can provide you with a kit that fits your budget and needs. He is a really easy guy to talk to and is a wealth of knowledge.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
531 N. Lyall Avenue
West Covina, California, 91790
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]

Reactions: 6D9 and LKWJeeper

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to go the stroker route just for the ease of not having to do a bunch of fabrication, wiring and dealing with smog here in California.

I’m going to build my stroker, slowly I might add, as funds allow. I just got a 93-95 4.0 out of a Wrangler.

If i were you I’d join jeepstrokers.com and read a much as you can. Also reach to to Russ. He can provide you with a kit that fits your budget and needs. He is a really easy guy to talk to and is a wealth of knowledge.

Russ Pottenger
531 N. Lyall Avenue
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203

Thanks for the info! I’ll look into it.

·
Registered
337 Posts

I’m going to build my stroker, slowly I might add, as funds allow. I just got a 93-95 4.0 out of a Wrangler. It’s sitting on an engine stand just waiting for me to tear into it.

If I were you I’d join jeepstrokers.com and read a much as you can. Also reach to to Russ. He can provide you with a kit that fits your budget and needs. He is a really easy guy to talk to and is a wealth of knowledge.

Russ Pottenger
531 N. Lyall Avenue
Work (626) 967-1000
Cell (626) 673-2203
Keep us posted as you start your stroker build.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
There is a lot of potential with a stroker engine for sure. If Golen was your only option it would be foolish to consider it IMO. You could get a good running low mileage LS with complete drive train installed for less than that. If you could get it done for a couple grand, then it would be cool.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
I’m strongly considering putting a Stroker into my YJ. I like that idea as it’s a lot easier than putting in a LS. Right now my YJ is a dedicated weekend warrior built for trails. It’s got 4.10 gears locked front and 8.8 rear. The Jeep has 229k miles and runs great.

Right now with the cost of a golen engine and install would be around $5,500. What do you guys and gals think?

Are you factoring in the complete Golen engine, including oil pan, etc? The reason I ask is because I ordered a Golen today, but before I did I called Golen up and asked the difference between the Golen 4.6 on Quadratec, which says "drop in" and is listed at $4500 vs the one on Golen's site going for $6300ish. The one on Golen's site includes everything needed to "drop in" including dyno and broken in whereas the one on Quadra - needed additional parts.

I ended up ordering from Golen, spoke with Chad Golen (nice guy) and plunked down a deposit to start building. Why Golen? He spent 20 mins plus covering all the details, is working with the shop thats doing my install, and threw some great advice on additional mods.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Are you factoring in the complete Golen engine, including oil pan, etc? The reason I ask is because I ordered a Golen today, but before I did I called Golen up and asked the difference between the Golen 4.6 on Quadratec, which says "drop in" and is listed at $4500 vs the one on Golen's site going for $6300ish. The one on Golen's site includes everything needed to "drop in" including dyno and broken in whereas the one on Quadra - needed additional parts.

I ended up ordering from Golen, spoke with Chad Golen (nice guy) and plunked down a deposit to start building. Why Golen? He spent 20 mins plus covering all the details, is working with the shop thats doing my install, and threw some great advice on additional mods.

Does the Golen warranty cover the engine if you install it yourself?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

You’re right, I was not. I had assumed I would be able to swap parts from my existing 4.0.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is a lot of potential with a stroker engine for sure. If Golen was your only option it would be foolish to consider it IMO. You could get a good running low mileage LS with complete drive train installed for less than that. If you could get it done for a couple grand, then it would be cool.

Other than building one myself I don’t see any other good Stroker options. I’ve seen LS1 engine /trans for $2.5k but that doesn’t include the remaining parts needed for the swap or install. I can do a lot on my Jeep but that’s not one of them.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to update this post. I went with a local 4wd shop and they were able to get all the parts and do the swap. As of right now the Stroker is swapped in but there’s an issue that the Jeep is now not starting. It did start on the first fire but after that it hasn’t.

The shop I’m working with called in an expert who diagnosed it as a bad CPS, which I’ll find out on Monday if he’s right.

Overall it looks good, went with a new radiator, motor mounts, flex plate, and headers. Going to drive like a new Jeep once it’s done.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Just got delivered to my installer last Friday - they'll start the install next week, I'll post up final results. Here's a link to the dyno - I can't wait to pick it up....

·
Super Moderator
10,502 Posts
Welcome to the Forum tdelongLJ,

We're all excited to hear how all this works out for you.
There's something to be said about buying a new motor that's been started and run on a dyno. Some folks go with top of the line and others have to economize as much as possible.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts