Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to do my best to explain everything here in hopes somebody can point me in the right direction. I have a 97 Sahara edition with 33 in tires and no lift (say that only because it may be part of the issue). I usually only drive my jeep on some slightly curvy and hilly roads around my house and sometimes it will shake violently when I hit a left curve with any speed. I end up needing to really back off the accelerator to make it around the turn. The weird part is that it really only seems bad within the first 2 miles of driving or so then seems to stop. So it always seems to do it around the same curve leaving my neighborhood and them maybe once afterwards randomly. The shutter can be felt through the steering wheel and manual stick. I have replaced all shocks because they were due so those are all new. I've greased all bushings that I can find in the steering system and they all look good. I don't see anything loose in the tie rods or steering system and I don't hear anything that would indicate a bearing. The only other thing I can think of is that there is a slight leak out of the front of the transfer case (can't remember off the top of my head what that seal is called), which I replaced years ago and it went right back to leaking which leads me to believe that a bearing in there is bad. This has actually been going on for a long time but I'm just now dealing with it. Any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 TJ 2.5L SE, 2003 TJ Rubicon
184 Posts
First thought is wheel bearing or ball joints.

Wheel bearing, tie rod ends, lower control arm bushings/loose bolt and ball joints are all points I would inspect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thought is wheel bearing or ball joints.

Wheel bearing, tie rod ends, lower control arm bushings/loose bolt and ball joints are all points I would inspect.
I've had issues with wheel bearings before in other cars and feel like I know what that feels/sounds like, but I guess I can jack it up and see if I have any shake on the wheel. I'll give that a shot. Bushings, bolts and tie rod ends all seem pretty solid (but I admit I'm not an expert. Nothing feels loose anyways). I'll look into the ball joints as well. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Put the front end on jack stands. Turn the wheels. Push/pull/tug on the wheels from different angles and directions. What does it feel like? see if you can feel anything binding or too much movement. Won't cost a thing to look for anything obvious.

·
Registered
15,385 Posts
Do a dry steering test as probably have loose components

33 with no lift may be significant running on full turn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the input. I put it on stands. Right wheel doesn't move an inch when rocking in any direction. Left wheel does not move with hands at 12 and 6 but does ever so slightly with hands at 3 and 9. However, it seemed to move the entire steering column and even the steering wheel was moving. I realized later that this might be because I had both wheels up. Will try again when I get the chance with the right wheel down. Thanks!

·
Registered
91 Posts
How sharp are the turns? You might be rubbing the tire on your control arm, atleast that is what happens to me at the moment. Is there sign of rubbing?

·
Registered
662 Posts
With the front raised and steering turned to left how does it feel when you spin the wheels? What do the axle UJs look like?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know I’m slow responding to all this and I appreciate the help. Just busy. The turns are pretty gradual. Just down a slightly windy road. Not turning onto streets or anything. I will say that when it shutters, it will carry the shutter even as I straighten back out if I don’t ease off gas. Turned it as far to the left as possible and turns fine with no clunking that I can tell. I joints seem fine to me. No play that I can find anywhere. If I leave one wheel down, there is no movement. Only movement is if both wheels are up and the whole steering system will rock a little. Maybe something in the steering box? I am actually about to start another thread because I let somebody drive it last week and it came back with what looks like a blown out water pump bearing but I don’t see a nut on the fan clutch shaft like I see in all the videos to remove. So feel free to put your two cents in on that as well. Looks like I will be working on this bad boy for a while.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts