Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It feels like the ride is getting rough. Time for new struts.

My question: Can you purchase strut assemblies for my 1999 Jeep Wrangler with the 4.0?

Or does one have to get the shocks and compress them etc? If so, I won't be doing this job.

If you can get the strut assemblies, how hard of a job is it in your opinion?

thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
To explain this in greater detail, our Jeeps don't have strut assemblies at all. They simply have springs and separate shocks.

Replacing the shocks is as simple as removing the bolts, pulling them off, and reversing the procedure with the new shocks. No special tools or special procedures are required.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,830 Posts
New shocks are easily installed and hydraulic shocks don't have to be compressed at all. Gas charged shocks have to be compressed but arm power is sufficient for them. You don't even have to remove the wheels or jack the Jeep up to replace the shocks on a Wrangler.

A VERY good riding moderately priced($50 or so) shock is the Rancho RS5000x which is gas charged. I'm an old guy with skinny arms and I had no problem getting them installed. Don't let anyone confuse the Rancho RS5000x gas-charged shock recommendation with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 which makes Jeeps ride like a tank.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the humor guys....and thanks for the helpful answers.

Just an amateur here. I never quite got my head around the difference between strut assemblies and just good old shocks and springs. I thought strut assemblies were just shocks compressed and put into the springs.

Glad to hear my dad and I might be able to pull this job off.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
A strut is the upper attachment point for an (99.9% of the time) independent suspension allowing the spindle to be located by just a lower control arm and the strut.... most struts also have a coil spring that supports the weight of the vehicle....
So the strut assy does 3 jobs.
Locating the spindle (and thus the wheel)
Supporting weight
Dampening bumps

A shock does only one job which basically is dampening bumps
A vehicle w shocks would drive just the same w them removed except the ride would be very bouncy and potentially very dangerous due to uncontrolled bouncing.... ie like driving a basketball.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Don't let anyone confuse the Rancho RS5000x gas-charged shock recommendation with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 which makes Jeeps ride like a tank.
Jerry speaks the truth. I am unfortunate to have a set of RS5000 (no x) on my TJ and the washboards beat me to death, and the rebound damping is such that the back end will almost catch air if I don't slow down to a crawl for a whoop. I bet if I tried Baja I could do a front flip.

The ONLY reason they're still there is I'm planning on more lift next spring and I don't want to buy twice.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jerry speaks the truth. I am unfortunate to have a set of RS5000 (no x) on my TJ and the washboards beat me to death, and the rebound damping is such that the back end will almost catch air if I don't slow down to a crawl for a whoop. I bet if I tried Baja I could do a front flip.

The ONLY reason they're still there is I'm planning on more lift next spring and I don't want to buy twice.
Glad to hear it because I ordered what Jerry recommended. Looking forward to installing them and the new improved ride!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New shocks are easily installed and hydraulic shocks don't have to be compressed at all. Gas charged shocks have to be compressed but arm power is sufficient for them. You don't even have to remove the wheels or jack the Jeep up to replace the shocks on a Wrangler.

A VERY good riding moderately priced($50 or so) shock is the Rancho RS5000x which is gas charged. I'm an old guy with skinny arms and I had no problem getting them installed. Don't let anyone confuse the Rancho RS5000x gas-charged shock recommendation with Rancho's older hydraulic RS5000 which makes Jeeps ride like a tank.
How long, how many miles should these Rancho rs5000x shocks last?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
How long, how many miles should these Rancho rs5000x shocks last?
Depends on care and use... you could break one in 5 min or they could go over 100,000 miles.... same as any decent shock

·
Registered
239 Posts
x2 on the Rancho RS5000x. Made a big difference in ride quality on my 2000 TJ from the RC hyd. shocks that came with my lift kit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The RS5000x Rancho shocks are installed! I just finished a 50 miles drive. There are great. Thank you Jerry Bransford for the recommendation. Hopefully they will last for a long time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Edit: Whoops, didn’t notice you were already done.

Not that you asked for recommendations, but spend a little more and get Bilstein 5100 shocks. Think how much money you’ll save by not paying a mechanic.

Note: Mine came uncompressed. They were easy to compress by hand, but I found I could not hold them compressed and get them mounted. I ended up making a loop with 16 gauge speaker wire to keep them compressed, getting them in position, then cutting the wire. I assume this is probably a fairly dangerous method.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not that you asked for recommendations, but spend a little more and get Bilstein 5100 shocks. Think how much money you’ll save by not paying a mechanic.

Note: Mine came uncompressed. They were easy to compress by hand, but I found I could not hold them compressed and get them mounted. I ended up making a loop with 16 gauge speaker wire to keep them compressed, getting them in position, then cutting the wire. I assume this is probably a fairly dangerous method.
I installed them myself with the help of my nephew and dad. And in regard to Bilstein, I found the wait time to be very long when I ordered them for my Chevy Cruze. I ended up buying a different brand after waiting for two months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts