Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a short flexible antenna for my '90 Wrangler. There are many offerings on eBay, Amazon and the like but few are vehicle specific. I am looking for a shortie which doesnt need removal every time I use my whole vehicle cover but still picks up decently. The PO put one of those rifle cartridge style antenna but it doesnt pick up squat.

Anyone know the thread pattern on the standard YJ antenna base? It has a male thread connection and many offerings I see are male as well. I need a female connection. Its possible the threaded part on my base could screw out but I dont want to ruin the threads trying if it wont.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My stock mount has a female threaded fitting, so the antenna requires a male post. Hit the Googles for antennamastsrus.com They have solutions for many vehicles, including stubby, rubbery ones for Jeeps. One I bought says German engineered, made in Wisconsin. It works fine, but I am not in an area with many radio stations.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jon. I guess I need to see if the post will come out without damaging it. After looking at the site you suggested, the bullet styles it shows for my Jeep all come with the post or a male connection. I like the flexibles they offer.

·
Registered
651 Posts
None of the stubbies pick up squat, they're only for looks because I've tried em all.
IMG_1259.JPG

Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have a spring on my factory antenna and you can bend it back and hook it behind the door hinge. A cover would fit over it fine with it hooked behind the door hinge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a spring on my factory antenna and you can bend it back and hook it behind the door hinge. A cover would fit over it fine with it hooked behind the door hinge.
This is a good suggestion and solve the issue of bad reception as well I hope.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I took some pictures of it to see if this will work for you. I found the spring on a old magnetic cb antenna in my grandpas garage but im sure they can still be bought. The one i have is probably from the 60's. I also wrapped some duct tape around the antenna where it hits the tub to prevent rubbing paint off and it has worked well.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,435 Posts
I took some pictures of it to see if this will work for you. I found the spring on a old magnetic cb antenna in my grandpas garage but im sure they can still be bought. The one i have is probably from the 60's. I also wrapped some duct tape around the antenna where it hits the tub to prevent rubbing paint off and it has worked well.

View attachment 4486687 View attachment 4486689
View attachment 4486691 View attachment 4486692 View attachment 4486693
Gotta ask... What's with the WAT sticker???

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Reactions: Got it at last
1 - 10 of 10 Posts