Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I just installed the Stubby Front Bumper Caps on our "11 JK's. Now they really look like Jeeps. The rest of our friends want them too now. :dance:

Here are the before and after pics.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
93 Posts
How was the install? I've looked at the installation instructions on Quadratec, and they tell you to use a saws-all to cut through both the plastic and metal parts of the bumper. I am curious how that went.

How much metal is in the bumper, and how hard was it to keep to the line you marked - all the way through the bumper? I'm worried I would screw it up.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How was the install? I've looked at the installation instructions on Quadratec, and they tell you to use a saws-all to cut through both the plastic and metal parts of the bumper. I am curious how that went.

How much metal is in the bumper, and how hard was it to keep to the line you marked - all the way through the bumper? I'm worried I would screw it up.
you cut about 3 inches of metal off. . to be honest. . you dont have to worry about keeping the line straight. . on my first side i was cautious and it took for ever. . the i realized the push pins for the caps only go into the plastic once on so the next side i just cut straight down . . used a hack saw myself. . not to bad to do. . i really like it. . just make sure when you cut you stay away from the factory bolts that hold the plastic bumper on on the back side. . other than that. . the whole 3inches from the crease is not a necessity

Attachments

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts

For reference.

·
..shall not be infringed!
4,666 Posts
More photo's for reference.

This is the new, Rough Country stubby cap. Now make of 1/8" steel with welded seams.

RC Caps.jpg

RC Cap Right.jpg

RC Caps Left.jpg

RC Caps Front.jpg

·
Registered
514 Posts
Ive been procrastinating on this. Something about cutting a perfectly fine bumper bugs me out.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Ive been procrastinating on this. Something about cutting a perfectly fine bumper bugs me out.
But it's not really a bumper so much as a piece of plastic. Once you cut through it you see how flimsy and cheap it is. Seriously, you can bend it by hand.

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's not difficult to convert. Just pay attention and follow the simple instructions. It also helps if you have a second pair of hands, especially when you are drilling the holes.

·
Really liking the Jeep...
1,956 Posts
I ordered mine this morning. It's the start of a long period of small purchases that will end in a big modding session in the spring.

My current plan is to clean up the cuts then apply black primer and maybe paint to the edges prior to installing the caps.
I used the same technique on the modified washers when I did my Ace Rails install, spraying black primer into the boxes afterward to further discourage corrosion.

My wife isn't into the look, but maybe that super pricey setup with the winch she likes so much will happen a little faster as a result!

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Ordering my wheels and tires next week and the RC stubby kit will be ordered shortly after. Really like the new metal version.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Which wheels did you decide on 4fit?
Haha. Still haven't decided man. Its between the 15" versions of the Level 8 Trackers, new MB TKOs, or, of course, the MB72s. There are 2 different members here who should be receiving their wheel shipments on Tuesday. They just happen to be the Trackers/Duratracs and the TKOs/Duratracs. I'm waiting to see how those look mounted up on their rigs before I commit. :thumb:

·
Registered
609 Posts
4fit said:
Haha. Still haven't decided man. Its between the 15" versions of the Level 8 Trackers, new MB TKOs, or, of course, the MB72s. There are 2 different members here who should be receiving their wheel shipments on Tuesday. They just happen to be the Trackers/Duratracs and the TKOs/Duratracs. I'm waiting to see how those look mounted up on their rigs before I commit. :thumb:
Haha i hear ya... Just gotta pull the trigger!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts