Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok needing help deciding, I know each bumper is going to have pros and cons so hence why I am really torn as to what I want to do....:pullinghair:

having a hard time deciding if I want a full or mid, though a stubby might be a good thing, but not a super fan of it, and I am not planing on super huge tires....:pcwhack:

anyways what are the thoughts of the collective? I am looking at Oedro Mid bumper, as they do have a combo deal going on, but I really like the look of that bumper in its full with form....but meh....so what would you guys do or suggest? I don't need stupid fancy just functional with fog holes for the OEM fogs and some spaces to mount additional lights if I wish to do so at a later time.....:pullinghair:

·
Super Moderator
5,714 Posts
What fenders are you going to run?
In my opinion that is one of the more important factors when choosing a bumper style. To me, stubby bumpers look funny with stock fenders and full width bumpers are harder to get right with tube fenders.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with the above

What fenders? stock fenders at this time, haven't decided if I am going full trail rig as my local area seems to be really lacking in that area
What type of wheeling? not really sure, not much in the area I live in that I am aware of
Why the cheapest of chinese knock off brands? Not set on it, just saw they had a combo deal for a low price that had a bumper, for both front and read, but I haven't decided on a brand yet, as every thing I find either meets my needs/wants but looks meh and horrible, or looks good and has functions missing.....at this point I am seriously considering learning how to fab something, and make one my self that has every thing I want and meets my needs.....
My replies are in RED

·
Super Moderator
5,714 Posts
With stock fenders you may not like the look of a stubby bumper. I don't.
Many knock off bumpers are kinda light on the steel. That can be bad if you actually wheel, but good if you don't (as lighter weight means less impact on fuel mileage and performance). You can compare the listed weights of bumpers as a general guide.
If you do go with a cheap bumper you may want to paint or powder coat it before installing. Often the cheap paint job they come with isn't even tough enough to survive shipping.
Or pick a quality bumper from a quality brand. That is what we have.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I honestly was not planing on getting a winch unless I could get a good combo deal on a winch and bumper, and that doesn't seem to happen often....I have never fabed anything and I don't have the equipment to do so, but you never know that could change very quickly, and I wouldn't really know where to start, I understand the basics but never attempted to fab any thing.....but doesn't mean I couldn't try and learn and figure out how to....

·
Super Moderator
15,965 Posts
I've built cheap and I've built well.
Never again will I buy something for my Jeep just because it's cheap. Everything I've bought cheap I ended up having to buy it again because the cheap parts didn't last.

The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long After the Sweetness of Low Price is Forgotten

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I don't have it yet... but I will. I like the medium width. Specifically, I like the mid-width Poison Spyder Bruiser bumper.

It's a looks thing with me. I get the advantages of a stubby for hard core wheeling, but I'll get enough of those advantages with the mid and it'll look better... to me.

·
Registered
306 Posts
What fenders are you going to run?
In my opinion that is one of the more important factors when choosing a bumper style. To me, stubby bumpers look funny with stock fenders and full width bumpers are harder to get right with tube fenders.

agreed.. stubby with stock flares just looks doesnt look right.. i run a stubby and really almost non existent flares.. hell, i like the no flare look..

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been looking at and considering thses two bumpers

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/qrc-front-winch-ready-bumper-smoke-bronze-metallic-finish-jeep-wrangler-jk

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12200_0001.htm

I am leaning more on the Weston bumper, as it looks like it would be one that would allow larger tires while keeping a full with bumper, no matter if I keep the stock fenders or switch to the tubular style, and I am kind of liking how it looks, however the Qtech QRC one isnt terrible looking either....thoughts?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I (finally!) went with a stubby. Specifically the ARB stubby. The other in my short list was the Poison Spyder stubby.

Just installed it today- I dont love it with the stock flares, but dont hate it as much as I expected to. Havent decided on flares yet, probably a tube/flat style.

Attachments

Reactions: ghost_18jku

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I (finally!) went with a stubby. Specifically the ARB stubby. The other in my short list was the Poison Spyder stubby.

Just installed it today- I dont love it with the stock flares, but dont hate it as much as I expected to. Havent decided on flares yet, probably a tube/flat style.

Where about in NY are you if you don't mind me asking? I am just over the river in CT, would love to see the bumper in person, looks nice with the extra lighting mounts, I posted the two I am considering, what would you think of those?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,518 Posts
I have been looking at and considering thses two bumpers

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/qrc-front-winch-ready-bumper-smoke-bronze-metallic-finish-jeep-wrangler-jk

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12200_0001.htm

I am leaning more on the Weston bumper, as it looks like it would be one that would allow larger tires while keeping a full with bumper, no matter if I keep the stock fenders or switch to the tubular style, and I am kind of liking how it looks, however the Qtech QRC one isnt terrible looking either....thoughts?

Hey there,

I have the stubby version in black of the QRC on my JK. It looks great and the Stealth winch fits perfectly among others as well in there if you are going to get a winch down the road. I currently still have my stock flares on it. I will go with flat ones at some point. So that bumper full length or stubby will look good with either.

I highly recommend the QRC bumper that you linked.

We do offer a forum discount as well for forum members. You can send us a PM with the ones that you are between or if you have decided and we can give you a quote.

Hailey

·
Registered
261 Posts
I love my Ace Engineering Mid Width, I went to check their website to get you a link. They must be out of stock because it is not listed, only their stubbys for the JK.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts