Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving today for the first time really since lifting it and noticed a smell that kind of smelled like my butane torch when I was using it to heat up bolts, and I noticed once in a while it got a little bit squirrely before returning to normal.

When I got to my friend's house I noticed the front passenger side was smoking from behind the tire, though looking through the wheel the brake rotor itself didn't look red hot or anything. I was worried I messed something up maybe adjusting my tie rod to align it after the lift (I still need to make some finer adjustments), but on my way home it didn't have any trouble at all and once I got home it didn't feel any hotter than the driver side one.

Any thoughts on what this could be? It does sound like a stuck brake caliper right? Why would it fix itself, and assuming it doesn't start doing it again it should be safe to drive yeah?

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
It might be smarter to describe the problem as intermittent rather than declaring that it has "fixed itself."
Exactly. I'd call it an intermittent sticking caliper, it is a matter of time before it fails. I'd replace the brake hose and the caliper. Many times the hose breaks down internally and small pieces of the hose find their way into the caliper causing them to stick. Replacing the hose with the caliper is a good idea depending on the age of the vehicle. If it is the 2003 in your garage replace the brake hoses as well. I like to change calipers in pairs, which is why I said 'hoses'. That might be overkill to some.

Check the pads and rotors as well, the smoking side might be burnt or glazed.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahah I only went with fixed since it happened then went away, intermittent is probably a better term that I'd have gone with if I saw it keep happening before posting.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into getting new calipers and hoses in the very near future.

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I like to change calipers in pairs, which is why I said 'hoses'. That might be overkill to some.
I recently dealt with a lad who, contrary to my advice, refused to replace both calipers when only one was sticking. A few months later, the other caliper seized up. As luck would have it, he was on a road trip and the problem occurred about 4 o'clock an a Friday afternoon before a three-day weekend. The $75 he saved initially wound up costing him $500 and about four hours of his time.

·
Super Moderator
7,833 Posts
I recently dealt with a lad who, contrary to my advice, refused to replace both calipers when only one was sticking. A few months later, the other caliper seized up. As luck would have it, he was on a road trip and the problem occurred about 4 o'clock an a Friday afternoon before a three-day weekend. The $75 he saved initially wound up costing him $500 and about four hours of his time.

Bingo, there's a method to my madness. I see I'm in good company!

I recently did tie-rods on my van, the left outer tie rod was bad, the right still good. My buddy across the street walked over and asked what I was doing, and why I was replacing two tie rods when only one was bad. I told him usually when one goes the other isn't far behind. That and I bring it in for an alignment after doing tie rods. I'm not about to pay twice for an alignment if the second tie rod goes a few months later. He questioned the alignment asking if I count threads etc. I told him counting threads, and measuring gets you in the ballpark, I want it dialed in.

Reactions: trickydoc
1 - 6 of 6 Posts