Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been many discussions about the best way to get your doors off when they didn't want to come off. I have tried every suggestion I could find on the subject but my doors still won't budge. Has anyone used a dremel tool with metal cutting blade and just cut through the hinge pin between the upper and lower hinge then drive the pins out and replace them with new one's? I have considered trying it but I would like to know if anyone has used this technique and how well it worked for you. The other method I have considered trying is to remove the hinges from the body-side, then with doors laying flat it would be easier to pry the hinges apart. My concern there would be to make sure the hinges were replaced in the exact position they were before so I wouldn't have any door alignment issues. Any thought or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
269 Posts
I know there will be a lot of "Have you tried..." - so will be the first to ask if you have access to a set of rubber jack-stand pads - if so, set them on the bottom of the door, set a 2X4 under them, and use a high lift jack to walk the door off the hinges, with a tap or two on the hinge bolt as you go...

·
Registered
376 Posts
Swinging the doors back and forth as the doors are pushed up helped me. It was impossible to lift them straight out, but back and forth as I lifted made them slide right up.

If you ever get them out, replace the bushings before you put them back in!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swinging the doors back and forth as the doors are pushed up helped me. It was impossible to lift them straight out, but back and forth as I lifted made them slide right up.

If you ever get them out, replace the bushings before you put them back in!!
Thanks for the reply. I have tried your suggestion many times to no avail and I have the new synthetic bushings ready to install when I finally get them off. Hopefully, I will get them off eventually. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
230 Posts
Mine fought me like crazy but I was finally able to jack the doors up with a floor jack and wood blocks to maintain enough up pressure while simultaneously working the hinge. This was after liberal use of penetrating oil over a couple of days.
Keep a hold on the door or get a helper because sometimes when they come off, they pop off all at once.
I wouldn’t surrender to the dremel methods.
DREMEL- ancient verb meaning to needlessly destroy or F*€k it up beyond repair.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Keep working it. Don't Dremel your hinges and don't remove the hinges either. Removing the hinges with break the seal of the paint and invite rust plus then you will have a new fight of getting the doors aligned properly

·
Registered
612 Posts
On my rusty old TJ that's no longer with us, the previous owner told me he "never took the doors off" I worked them back and forth soaking them blah, blah, blah... You get no where with that but you need to do it. I put a 2x4 under the door and lifted it with a floor jack until I was lifting the body of the Jeep then I began whacking that 2x4 upward on the end nearest the hinges with a 3lb dead blow until each arm stopped working. EVENTUALLY the both doors popped off and nearly leaped out of the hinges when they let go

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you got an exteremely stuck hinge, you can go buy a block of dry ice and hold it to the hinge/pin on and off. Do that while doing the door swing and pull from the bottom. Be careful handling it (gloves and clothing) as they will "burn" your hands. I used like everything to get one door off and had to pound-out the previous sleeves once I got the door off. I think the dry ice helped. It was a long day and I really don't get why they used those damn aluminum sleeves.

·
Registered
2014 JKU Rubicon X edition, teraflex leveling kit and 255/80r17 toyo open country AT3s
230 Posts
My bushings were so corroded I couldn't drive all of them out from the bottom. On some I used a drill bit and even ground a chisel to a small curved point and "peeled" them out.
I think the previous owner might have actually drove new nylon bushings in on top of the metal ones at some point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My bushings were so corroded I couldn't drive all of them out from the bottom. On some I used a drill bit and even ground a chisel to a small curved point and "peeled" them out.
I think the previous owner might have actually drove new nylon bushings in on top of the metal ones at some point.
Yeah your making me remember that crappy day more. I think I had to peel one of them out like that too. Ugh, better forgotten.

·
Registered
2013 JKU sport
142 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have tried your suggestion many times to no avail and I have the new synthetic bushings ready to install when I finally get them off. Hopefully, I will get them off eventually. Thanks again.
I smothered mine in WD-40 and swung it as wide open and as close to closed for 5 minutes non stop then gave it a try and they popped out so easy I almost didn’t catch it because it flew up!

·
Registered
230 Posts

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
i may have to try to remove mine again. They must be welded in. When I finally got the driver's door off, I couldn't get the damn dood back on without using a rat tail file in the hinge. Even then, it was difficult. I tried this when my 2016 was relatively new. too annoying actually.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I did my hinges some time ago. My doors came off very easily the first time I did it, but I was prepared and had the delrin hinge liners ready for install. Even though I was able to tap out the OEM steel hinge liners with very little effort, I could see the beginning of rust in the liners and hinges themselves. I ended up getting a set of rat-tail files and filing out the hinges just to get the delrin inserts to fit. I put some silicon grease on the whole shebang and the door goes off and on with ease now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When I had stuck doors I found a fairly easy solution: I just sat on the door jab and used my legs/thighs to lift up the door underneath -- strongest muscle in the body...

·
Premium Member
7,446 Posts
When I removed the doors on our old 2013 JK for the first time after over a year of ownership I used WD-40 to hose down the pins and then, after letting it soak in for a while, I used a floor jack with a 2x4 to gently apply pressure as I tapped the bottom of the door with a rubber mallet. After I saw the pins start to rise I lifted it the rest of the way off by hand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I smothered mine in WD-40 and swung it as wide open and as close to closed for 5 minutes non stop then gave it a try and they popped out so easy I almost didn’t catch it because it flew up!
Drown the hinge in PB Blaster for a few hrs and rest tempt the 2x4 and jack method. Keep trying. It will eventually come out

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Or just spend <$200 as I recall on the Harbor Freight door lift/storage device posted here a couple of years back. Love mine.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts