Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow jeepers!!!

Can someone help me?

What are the initial steps to check? and obviously solutions

Thanks in advance

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
You might try backing up in a straight line, to unbind the transfer case. It's worked for me with the NP231, and other transfer cases.

Reactions: Frydaddy

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might try backing up in a straight line, to unbind the transfer case. It's worked for me with the NP231, and other transfer cases.
meaning moving the stick, while in reverse?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts
The usual cause of that is nothing more than the transfer case linkage having slipped out of adjustment since there's just one bolt to hold it in adjustment. This photo shows the bolt that locks the tcase shifter rod in place, you just need a 1/2" wrench to loosen it further, slide the rod back into position as evidenced by its mark on the rod, then tighten the snot out of it when it's back in adjustment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Mine recently did that. One of the tiny bushings broke (directly above the circle in Jerry B's pic) and the rod connected to the lever came loose.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
meaning moving the stick, while in reverse?
Nope. Back up 15 or 20 yards, then try to shift out of 4wd. If it's because the t-case has gotten bound up because of driving on a hard surface, this will usually do the trick.

If it's the shift linkage, then it needs to be shifted from underneath, by hand.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Mine got out of adjustment when the PO put in a body lift.
The lever wasn't pushing the rod forward enough to engage 4L.

Plus... The plate below the circle in Jerry's picture got worn and was floppy side to side.
Seller had welded up a little on the plate and re-drilled the holes to take some of the slop out when it pivoted.

Before that fix and re-adjustment, I could only engage 4H. Not 4L.
Now it works and is relatively easy to shift in and out on the move.

A cable shifter is on my "someday wishlist" after other priority upgrades get done first.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I did the Novak cable conversion and was happy to get rid of the OE linkage... which was like a Rube Goldberg contraption. The cable linkage is a great remedy and well worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I did the Novak cable conversion and was happy to get rid of the OE linkage... which was like a Rube Goldberg contraption. The cable linkage is a great remedy and well worth it IMHO.
What exactly does it FIX? The Jeep owners ability to know how to shift into 4WD? I've only had 18 Jeeps and everyone of them shifted fine into 4WD??? I'm confused? PULL LEVER that says 4WD, roll slightly if you want to or listen to it grind into 4WD. It's a JEEP, not a $60,000 "JEEP" Gladiator.

p.s. I have a GO FUND ME page if anyone wants to buy me a Gladiator.:winner:

Reactions: OldBarn and lindel

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
Boogs,
I'm glad to hear that you haven't had any problems with your Mopar Rube Goldberg linkages. Mine took some stress from a couple of engine swaps over the years and miles. The Novak cable was a better option than repairing or replacing the OE linkage. It was a lot easier too. As I mentioned... "IMHO", you're certainly entitled to yours. I haven't had to buy 18 Jeeps, just one. Been happy with this one after 18+ yrs but I'm mechanically inclined and not afraid to swap engines, trannys, and things of that nature.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Judging by your Avatar you own a JK?
If so, take a peek at your shifter, is it really loos?
if so it has popped off the plastic bushing and needs to be put back on, there are step by step instructions in the forums on how to fix this, it is not the easiest of tasks, some have even cut an access panel in their bezel to make access easier. I have used a zip tie and the old plastic clip to get me off the trail, I also now have zip-tied both on so that it will not come off in the future.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Strange how a picture of a tj would make you think he has a jk...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Strange how a picture of a tj would make you think he has a jk...
I will keep my comments to myself from now on as you suggest.

Please forgive my ignorance, it will not happen again. :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

People like you should not own Jeep, you make the rest of us look bad.

Out of here.

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's him and this forum needs to make people fill out a profile of their Jeep so people can answer questions knowing what their working with. I see some other JeepForum does that. :banned:
who has to fill out data?

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You do your own. Look at the top, on the line that starts with "User CP" there is one called "Jeep Profile" with a down arrow. Click on the arrow, us "My Jeep Profile". You call add information about what you have, what you have done to it, add lots of pictures.

·
Registered
2002 jeep wrangler x
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was driving the jeep, then i heard a clanking sound, then the jeep didnt rolled any more

1 - 20 of 22 Posts