Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I haven't been active in a little bit because I've been out enjoying my new TJ! Well, new to me and loving every minute of it. :D Purchased an '05 X with the Rocky Mountain package which had less than 10K miles. After having it for a month I have taken it off road twice and got it stuck is some really sloppy wet mud. That being said, a gearhead friend of mine said that I should change my fluids since I've filled the gearboxes with water and mud. He explained that transfer cases in general have vent holes that will allow water and mud to get in them and mixes with the gear oil. I've asked my other fellow Jeep owners and lovers and they all tell me that its fine, not to worry about it, this is what the Jeep's made for. So, I'm asking y'all for your opinion/advice. I intend on having the 12K service done soon on the Jeep because its getting close to that mileage; however should I have this looked into before the scheduled maintenance? Thanks for any help and advice!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whoops! Sorry, thought I posted this in the TJ forum but its in the JK. Will post in the TJ but if any JK-ers would like to respond, I'll all for it. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,334 Posts
Laura said:
Hello! I haven't been active in a little bit because I've been out enjoying my new TJ! Well, new to me and loving every minute of it. :D Purchased an '05 X with the Rocky Mountain package which had less than 10K miles. After having it for a month I have taken it off road twice and got it stuck is some really sloppy wet mud. That being said, a gearhead friend of mine said that I should change my fluids since I've filled the gearboxes with water and mud. He explained that transfer cases in general have vent holes that will allow water and mud to get in them and mixes with the gear oil. I've asked my other fellow Jeep owners and lovers and they all tell me that its fine, not to worry about it, this is what the Jeep's made for. So, I'm asking y'all for your opinion/advice. I intend on having the 12K service done soon on the Jeep because its getting close to that mileage; however should I have this looked into before the scheduled maintenance? Thanks for any help and advice!
I've been in sloppy wet mud numerous times and have never had any issues. (knock on wood) Just powerwash the bottom of the jeep and go...

·
Registered
51 Posts
There are vents, but they are near the top of the differentals. transfer case and transmission to keep the fluid in and mud and water out.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Check all your vent lines to make sure to are snug and connected. After '03 the auto trans vent didn't leak normally either. If you want to check on it before taking it in, get a raditor fuild test kit cheap and use the suction tube it has to suck out some transfer case fluid to look at it. I had a friend that mudded a lot and he ran Royal Purple in everything. Even when he got stuck bad and it did get mud and water in it, the RP still kept everything lubed enough for him to limp it home at least. I'd consider the extra cost of RP small if you get wet or muddy a lot.

Don't forget to hose out the back side of your raditor after mudding. Have some fun with it, I wish I had my TJ still.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts