Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted this in the JK forum - sorry about that! Wanted to get it to the correct set of eyes! Any info is always welcome. Thanks!
Hello! I haven't been active in a little bit because I've been out enjoying my new TJ! Well, new to me and loving every minute of it. :D Purchased an '05 X with the Rocky Mountain package which had less than 10K miles. After having it for a month I have taken it off road twice and got it stuck is some really sloppy wet mud. That being said, a gearhead friend of mine said that I should change my fluids since I've filled the gearboxes with water and mud. He explained that transfer cases in general have vent holes that will allow water and mud to get in them and mixes with the gear oil. I've asked my other fellow Jeep owners and lovers and they all tell me that its fine, not to worry about it, this is what the Jeep's made for. So, I'm asking y'all for your opinion/advice. I intend on having the 12K service done soon on the Jeep because its getting close to that mileage; however should I have this looked into before the scheduled maintenance? Thanks for any help and advice!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
Your '05 has remoted vent hoses for both axles, transfer case, and transmission so if those hoses are properly connected and in place, it is unlikely that water or mud could have gotten into any of items. :)

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
It takes about 5-10mins to pull all the fill plugs and check the fluid condition (I just stick my finger in the hole for a dipstick).

I once had a rearend that had water in it and when I pulled the plug, water and oil came glooping out...seeing that it was way overfilled told me that I lots of water in there. So I proceeded to pull the diff cover and change the diff oil.

Someone else I know just pulls into a a Jiffy Lube after wheeling in muddy water and requests that they check all their fluids.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thank you for the quick reply and great news. :)

I'll post some pictures soon. Kinda funny/sad the first pictures of my Jeep are of it stuck in mud. ;)

·
Knows a couple things...
49,621 Posts
Someone else I know just pulls into a a Jiffy Lube after wheeling in muddy water and requests that they check all their fluids.
I hope that person wouldn't expect that Jiffy Lube to say anything other than ALL fluids and filters need changing. And when they're done with that, no doubt that Jiffy Lube would probably also assert that that it also needs a tranny flush, fuel injector cleaning process, engine flush, a/c recharge, and the seat tracks are in desperate need of a $9.95 lubrication too. :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts