Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas, I bought some Teraflex HD Ball Joints and I've hit a brick wall.

I can't get the lower ball joint(s) out. I've only tried one actually but they both looked rusted/stuck before I started. It looks like someone may have swapped out the top ones before already and maybe never did the bottoms because of this.

ANY ideas? The bottoms are bad, they jiggle all over so I need to replace the.

What I have done:
- I rented a ball joint press from Autozone, it took the top one off already
- I tried penetrating oil on the top of the ball joint, I've tried every combination I could to get a better angle, I defaulted to the exact setup I saw someone on you tube do it with.
- I've tried by hand, with a electric impact drill I have, basically everything I can think of.
- I didn't see any retainers or anything on the bottom.

I need to be able to do this at home since the whole front of torn off.

I hope you guys have some wisdom I am lacking. I'm literally exhausted right now having been working on this.

:pullinghair:

·
Registered
148 Posts
The lower ball joints are removed top-down, are you going in the correct direction for removal?

Have you tried applying heat?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe I am going the right direction, I have the cup on the bottom making sure its cupping the ball joint. The top is going through to top ball joint hole, with nothing on the end, just pressing down.

The way this guys doing it at 38min:

I have not tried applying heat, that wouldn't catch the great and penetrating oil etc on fire?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also just easily popped the top one off on the passenger side and tried to take the bottom one off on that side as well, same issue, its not budging. I didn't try as much as the driver side but seems the same.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Best tool for this, after getting it snug with an impact, is a 36" breaker bar and a big ass (like mine) on it. If that fails, liquid cannot be tight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts