Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully, there is a special place in hell for mechanics who over-torque oil pan bolts. I just traded in my 2010 JK Rubi for a 2013 and went to change the oil.
Hmm, 13 mm wrench didn't get it-rounded the bolt after applying probably 100 ft. lbs. No problem, the alligator socket will get it-nope, same thing after applying massive force. Getting worried, but no problem, I've got a Craftsman Bolt Remover set-never had that fail. Nope, able to put massive force on it with 1/2 inch wrench-literally ground it down to a nub. OMG-this is turning into a major PITA! Got out my old standby-Easy-Out. Drilled the bolt and not really able to put enough torque on it with the wrench, so I decided I had to take the oil pan off.
The RTV Jeep uses is VERY tough. Took a major amount of hammering the putty knife around to get pan off, but I did it. Drilled the bolt deeper and after nearly picking myself off the ground with the force I put on it, it broke free.
Thought for sure it must have been cross-threaded, but nope, threads totally clear. Able to thread new bolt with fingers. Just some over-zealous mechanic with an air gun.
Honestly don't know what I could have done differently, but at least I got it. At least the oil pan got a good cleaning.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Quality vice grips. They got off nearly every stuck bolt I ever encountered at the dealership.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a similar experience luckily not as bad as yours, I managed to strip it with the box wrench managed to get it off with vice grips and replaced the bolt with with a fumoto valve. King Kong must travel to different dealers to do oil changes

·
Registered
599 Posts
Quality vice grips. They got off nearly every stuck bolt I ever encountered at the dealership.
They were selling this ratchet socket set upfront at Pep boys that locks onto stripped bolts.

There was a little display thing and it would literally tighten and loosen a totally circle bolt head!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
My wifes forester was in for an oil consumption test, the dealer did a change and sealed the engine. When I did the next oil change I had to use an impact to get the plug out. I was less than impressed. I set my plugs with a torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I had a similar experience luckily not as bad as yours, I managed to strip it with the box wrench managed to get it off with vice grips and replaced the bolt with with a fumoto valve. King Kong must travel to different dealers to do oil changes
I put a Fumoto drain valve in all my vehicles. I also do all my own oil changes.

·
Premium Member
7,472 Posts
I just let the dealer do all the oil changes on our Jeep. The reason is because it's totally free for life. If they want to torque that drain bolt down to 200 ft/lbs, they are the ones who will have to deal with it when we bring it back in 3 months for its next oil change.

·
Registered
225 Posts
An impact gun earlier in the process may have done the trick. The hammering action is less stressful on struck bolts than trying to muscle them off with massive torque. A torch probably could have also helped. Glad you got it fixed though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts