Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after my Jeep was covered in Road grime from the past few weeks, yesterday I decided to get my Jeep washed. I took it to the car wash close by to my work (I've taken it there several times before). Yesterday was unique because as the roller brush went around the back, it decided to catch on and destroy the license plate holder in the back. The Car Wash manager apologized and was quick to say he'd get me another bracket.

Just now I actually had time to assess it, and I saw a problem. Last week I installed an Expedition One rear bumper with the integrated tire carrier. That bumper is now covering the bolts to the bottom of the tire bracket. I love the bumper but it was a pain in the ass to install! I really don't want to spend thanksgiving taking off and putting on the bumper again.

Is there any aftermarket options for the license plate holder on the JK? I know on the TJs there was a couple of options that may just be able to mount on the the two little bolts where it's accessable?

Also would the Stock license plate bracket be able to hold on with just the two bolts?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,804 Posts
Ya, the stock bracket is a poor design and looks like it was an after thought.
I bought a bracket made by Warrior Products, for the spare tire. It is lighted and was $80 from Q-tech ($63 without the brake light). I cut out a piece of plastic to cover the hole that remained.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Rock hard sells on as does PS, believe they are all the same. Have lights for the Lic plate and LED's for the third break like. Easy to install and connect into the wiring harness. Mine was a awhile ago but needed a soldering iron to install. OH, get the plug for where the old Lic plate holder was. Believe they are sold separately. You can color match them to your jeep if you wish.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Would you wash your jeep with sand paper? Next time you go through a car wash look at the dirt on the brushes. If you look at the paint on a car that uses a car wash you will see the circle scratches from the car wash.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Would you wash your jeep with sand paper? Next time you go through a car wash look at the dirt on the brushes. If you look at the paint on a car that uses a car wash you will see the circle scratches from the car wash.

No friggen kidding. Bristle brush carwashes are the worst. I would rather have my Jeep dirty than destroy the paint. I only use the high presure touchless washes.

Long time ago I went to a fund raiser car wash. I watched in horror as a high school girl dropped her wash mit on the asphalt then went directly back to my paint with it. Never again, I always wash my own vehicles now.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I went with the $10 Mopar one myself when I did the delete/move project.

I then painted it with some Commando Green paint to make it match.

I then bought some LED bolt lights that shine down on the license plate and they also have a rear facing red light that I wired to the brake lights.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Guys heads up....I use a local washman car wash here and have never had a problem with the licence plate/spare tire setup from warrior.

However, last week I went to a different washman (same company, different location) and my actual license plate in the rear was bent on one side. So they must have different machines, and this one doesn't get along with my rear plate.

If your nut is loose enough, I would pull it off before sending it through.

Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
I took my 2013 through a car wash one day after we had really bad dust storms. When I got home I noticed that the rear license plate holder was messed up and the front license plate was bent down. And, when going through the drying portion, I thought my hood was going to be permanently dented from the force of the air. How thin are the hoods?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I don't know if it is just me but I go to automatic car washes and see signs that say "Not responsible for " this, that and the other "broken off your car" then look at all the stuff attached to the outside of my vehicles and decide not to use it.

For a quick and easy wash without concern to quality I hand spray. I have also used the foam brushes though it really isn't recommended because you don't know what kind of grit is in those things that will scratch your paint. If I really want to get personal with my Jeep, I hand wash in the driveway. In all these ways I do it myself and I have never had a problem with anything getting mangled or pulled off my vehicles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Agree joeuncool. I normally hand wash, but I was in a hurry to run some errands and made a hasty decision to stop at the automatic car wash. I won't do that ever again.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts