Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dumb question from a dumb driver. I was in traffic today, finally got up to speed at 60MPH. Had the stereo up loud and very tired. Discovered my 17 JKU was in 2nd gear (MT) for a few minutes before I went to shift into sixth. Did I likely damage my engine, or is this a "this is a Jeep, it can handle it" kind of thing?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
That would not do any damage to your engine. All it would do is cause reduced fuel mileage while you were doing that.
Nothing to worry about.
I would think that's not necessarily true. Chances are he redlined the engine for a good amount of time. I'd say if it sounds good and runs fine now, you are ok. The engine will tell you if it isn't good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,573 Posts
I would think that's not necessarily true. Chances are he redlined the engine for a good amount of time. I'd say if it sounds good and runs fine now, you are ok. The engine will tell you if it isn't good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
The rev limiter will protect the engine. If he had been driving down the road at some high rate of speed and accidentally down shifted to second that might have over-rev's the motor. But forgetting to shift and accelerating in second to redline or near it will not over-rev the motor and no harm will be done.

·
Super Moderator
22,054 Posts
your rev limiter should have kicked in which should protect it from over revving. the 3.6 likes to rev so probably just fine.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Curious about your Jeep. Is it stock? Tire size, gearing, etc. What RPM do you reach at that speed in that gear?

I've done what your are describing but mostly only in 3rd or 4th gear after traffic suddenly opens up and I'm on auto pilot keeping up with the flow.

I doubt it did any damage.

ben

·
Super Moderator
22,054 Posts
if you are on stock tires and you have 3.21 gears you were at about 5345 rpms at 60mph if 3.73's at about 6200 rpms. If you have taller tires the rpms will lower. I can tell you I have had all of mine at over 5000 rpms many times without issues.

·
Premium Member
3,630 Posts
It's not like you downshifted into 2nd and over revved the engine.

The limiter would have kept you under redline. The dual-speed oil pump in the Pentastar would have kept your engine well lubricated at about 90 PSI. There would have been good cooling.

If anything, this helped burn out carbon deposits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you! It was only about 5500 RPM. I did not hit the rev limiter... even I would have noticed that.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
If it were me - I'd check the oil - if its dark, change it as a precaution.. Also - run synthetic as it will save you if this type of things happens as it doens't break down as quickly as regular oil. (queue infinite reponses and oil experts to chime in now).

This is obviously - IMO only.. But from my experience - I have had 4 DD vehicles in my adult life (I'm 46). Every one of them had at least 120K on them. My Saturn had over 200k, and died due to a failed sparkplug that went through the block... but ran like a top until then.

My 2008 JK I just traqded in with 250K miles and it also ran like a top..

I'm a *firm* believer in keeping the revs as low as possible and running symthetic as much as possible. I also change oil at 5k-7k miles...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it were me - I'd check the oil - if its dark, change it as a precaution.. Also - run synthetic as it will save you if this type of things happens as it doens't break down as quickly as regular oil. (queue infinite reponses and oil experts to chime in now).

This is obviously - IMO only.. But from my experience - I have had 4 DD vehicles in my adult life (I'm 46). Every one of them had at least 120K on them. My Saturn had over 200k, and died due to a failed sparkplug that went through the block... but ran like a top until then.

My 2008 JK I just traqded in with 250K miles and it also ran like a top..

I'm a *firm* believer in keeping the revs as low as possible and running symthetic as much as possible. I also change oil at 5k-7k miles...

Thanks, I always run synthetic, and I changed it recently!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sounds like something the high schoolers used to do when they were more concerned with the "munchies" than the steering wheel in their hands.

You most likely didn't damage anything, but I wouldn't make it a common practice.

Jeff B.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don’t claim to be an engine guy at all, but I’ve had passengers accidentally downshift to a much lower gear unexpectedly. Usually women with their purses on the seat. Aside from the God awful sound of the engine racing, no harm no foul. You should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had idea you can get that fast in 2nd, when I was a kid, was driving my LeMan's and headed to Colorado and was pretty happy at the torque until it blew the engine since I had in low:(
Finally got to Colorado with a career move. I always am watching the RPM's since I drive like an egg is under the skinny pedal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts