Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 TJ that I need to do a simple engine swap in. The problem I'm running into is finding a used motor for a decent price. I'm wondering what years wranglers and cherokees have the same 4.0 as mine. I know mine has coil packs but google isn't helping me figure this out so I'm putting this out there for ya'lls help.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
XJ = Late model year 1999 - 2001 (End of production)
WJ = Late model year 1999 - 2004
TJ = 2000 - 2006

However I would highly advise on avoiding LMY99-02 4L's. I've posted this in many a thread; the first iteration of the 0331 head was prone to cracking due to a copper deficiency that was corrected in 03. This isn't to say that EVERY 99-02 will crack, but the possibility is higher in these years. Its just something you ought to avoid. You'd be best served looking for an 03-06, though i hear there are problems with 04-05's, something to be aware of as well.

Dead giveaway on the motor being the correct one would obviously be the coil bosses on the passenger side of the head, and the horseshoe shaped intake manifold.

·
Registered
941 Posts
TJ = 2000 - 2006

However I would highly advise on avoiding LMY99-02 4L's. I've posted this in many a thread; the first iteration of the 0331 head was prone to cracking due to a copper deficiency that was corrected in 03. This isn't to say that EVERY 99-02 will crack, but the possibility is higher in these years. Its just something you ought to avoid. You'd be best served looking for an 03-06, though i hear there are problems with 04-05's, something to be aware of as well.

Dead giveaway on the motor being the correct one would obviously be the coil bosses on the passenger side of the head, and the horseshoe shaped intake manifold.
The '04 and '05 had problems with the Oild Pump Drive gear. Not a major problem as it is an cheap and easy fix if done as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
The '04 and '05 had problems with the Oild Pump Drive gear. Not a major problem as it is an cheap and easy fix if done as preventative maintenance.
Gotcha, doesn't sound as bad as the head cracking issue.. so there you have it OP.. best bet is 03-06 motor, got 2 years of WJs to use, and 4 of TJs :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
TJ = 2000 - 2006

Are all 99-02 prone to head issues or some specific series / casting?

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
OPDA problems are 05-06. 03-04's are fine....totally different setup.

Are all 99-02 prone to head issues or some specific series / casting?
2000 is the most problem year, with 0331 head casting. To avoid that problem, look for the TUPY revision head. TUPY heads say TUPY inside under the valve cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts