Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 JKU Sport- considering putting on Rubicon shocks and springs. Not a serious off-road truck however it looks like it would be an easy, cheap upgrade. Also hope that with these springs I wouldn't get too mucg sag on front end with new Barricade bumper.

Any thoughts or waste of money?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Have you priced a "leveling kit" lately?

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Short answer: No benefit, waste of $$

Long answer: Springs have been discussed in great length on the forum. Rubicons (except 10a) do not have different springs than any other model.

You need to compare your springs #s to the potential Rubi spring #s to see if they're any firmer.

Shocks are different, but not sure they're better.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I put springs & shocks off a JKUR on my JK. A couple things to note, the Rubicon doesn't necessarily use different springs. There are a handful of spring rates that Jeep uses, and the specific configuration of the specific Wrangler determines the factory spring rate used.

I went from a lower spring rate to a higher rate, in fact the highest rate. My JK got about an inch of lift as a result. It handles pavement like a racecar.

Off road, it didn't articulate well at all.

https://flic.kr/p/iUWUuQ

^that may look cool, but it's not. Instead of flexing, the stiffer springs made my rig into a rigid teeter-totter.

So I installed sway bar disconnects to address the lack of flex.

https://flic.kr/p/rA6Hwt

Now I'm sitting pretty.

Rubicon shocks are preferable to OEM when new.

Note, with a JKU, the donor Rubicon springs may be the exact same rate as the ones you intend to replace. There is a tag on each spring. Write down the rate or take a picture, and see what you have. It will read something like 18/56 or 16/54, etc. Then look at the rate of the intended replacement. Higher numbers reflect a higher resistance to compression.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Get the bumper and see if you even need any extra lift. I installed the Barricade and a 9500 lb winch, with no noticeable sag. I was surprised. The Jeep nosedives a bit more when I'm on the brakes though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get the bumper and see if you even need any extra lift. I installed the Barricade and a 9500 lb winch, with no noticeable sag. I was surprised. The Jeep nosedives a bit more when I'm on the brakes though.
Great point!

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Have a 2014 JKU Sport- considering putting on Rubicon shocks and springs. Not a serious off-road truck however it looks like it would be an easy, cheap upgrade. Also hope that with these springs I wouldn't get too mucg sag on front end with new Barricade bumper.

Any thoughts or waste of money?
Coil Spring Spacers may be a good options for you since you're not a serious off-roader. Something like the Teraflex Leveling Kit will give you a little lift all the way around, but if you have softer springs you may end up with a "nose down" attitude after the bumper. You could always install the bumper first and see what it does to the stance!

Let me know if you have any questions or if you'd like a quote.

-Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts