Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-135097091.jpg
This is what's in my 04 , I'm assuming it's Stock.
Would it be Single or Double DIN?
And what does that refer to ? Connectors ?
I want to go with a Digital Media Player as I don't own CD's anymore and I have a Massive collection of music in Digital form.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Not much help but maybe some...yes it is stock.....a few years ago I ordered a replacemnet radio that came with the plug/ wiring and can accept media....and IDK how to do media (that is my wife's thing) bottom line look for one that has the features you want and order and install pretty easy in a TJ

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Single DIN or double DIN refers to the size of the stereo. Double DIN radios are usually the ones with navigation or large DVD screens. I believe the standard measurements for the single DINs are 2" x 7" versus DD 4"x7".

·
Registered
103 Posts
You will need a signal DIN, double will fit if your willing to modify your dash. Contact Crutchfield tell them your needs and you will get everything you will need for a smooth install. They will run special with free install kit which will include DIN adapter so it fit nicely as well as plug adapter and ant adapter which you should not need but they will know for sure. They also carry media/radio only unit now which is great if you don't need cd option.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I was checking with them an they have an Alpine unit that would work but not all the features I would like. They have pretty good deals.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Almost tempted to just use an amp and speakers and run cables for the iPod.

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Just got a Kenwood KMR-308BT from Crutchfield. Very nice, too.

It is a mechless (meaning no mechanicals like cassette or CD) marine Bluetooth unit.

Google it. Does phone fairly acceptably and wirelessly runs off my iPhone. Stereo works well. Detachable faceplate feels much less cheap than a Sony. Nice and solid. $109.99 - but that is too cheap to qualify for the free install stuff. But the fascia adaptor, antenna adaptor and harness half for a jeep only cost me $15. The antenna jack is the same as on the antenna, so that was wasted anyway. Harness took me about an hour to wire up nearly. Install took about 45 minutes. But I have had the dash apart many times and can tear it down in like seven or eight minutes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I was checking with them an they have an Alpine unit that would work but not all the features I would like. They have pretty good deals.
What are the features you are looking for? There are a ton of head units available.

Crutchfield sometims does have good deals with sales. Don't be afraid of the open box and scratch/dent. (note sometime the scratch/dent may not include all of the free install items)

Crutchfield is also good if you are somone who may need tech support

Almost tempted to just use an amp and speakers and run cables for the iPod.
That would not be a great setup. A headunit will usuall integrate direct interface to work your device. Display songs, access playlists etc

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, from what I've read and heard most units don't recognize playlists as far as when where they start and stop.
I'm looking for full Accessibility to my iPod with easy use.
Bluetooth is a plus
Never use CD's
It would be nice to have a choice of color display as all my interior lighting is Green but I'll go with function first.
Not going overboard with power but a couple of options if I want to in the future would be nice.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Not sure on the playlist part as I no longer create playlist.

I just installed the Alpine CDE-143BT and it fits the bill for my Bluetooth music and iPhone for the phone capabilities.

Crutch field 129.99 and all of the fittings and wire harness.
The UTE-42BT is the mechless version of the CDE-143BT. I don't use an ipod, but the unit does recognize play lists I set up on my phone or on a USB drive. It is easy to navigate between play lists with the head unit. I believe it does have ipod integration through USB as well

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Well, from what I've read and heard most units don't recognize playlists as far as when where they start and stop.
I'm looking for full Accessibility to my iPod with easy use.
Bluetooth is a plus
Never use CD's
It would be nice to have a choice of color display as all my interior lighting is Green but I'll go with function first.
Not going overboard with power but a couple of options if I want to in the future would be nice.
What do you mean start/stop? My Sony has full menu and control for my ipod (playlists, shuffel, by artist, entire ipod etc) . I can display all the play lists. Select one and it will display the number of tracks and number it has played. There is no CD. The ipod or other usb device can be stored inside the unit behind the faceplate which is what I like. Faceplate is removeable. Mine does not have bluetooth but I am sure other models have it. I am not saying I am in love with how all the controls radio and audio work but it is what I have.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
"The Sony" There are lots of sony receivers. Which one are you referring to? The one I purchased was the DSX-S210BTX but that was several years ago so of course the models have changed. Are there current models with similar features, probably.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The guy at Crutchfield told me they don't make the one with the storage tray that holds the iPod anymore.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
They may not be the only place but all the extras are free!!!!

That made my decision easy not having to pay for the install kit. Even amazon couldn't touch the price with install kit.

Crutchfield sent it three day select as well. Plus if you need it they have support.

Just mho...:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts