Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is for stupid things the previous owner did, feel free to add yours.

A couple years ago I bought an extra serpentine belt, it lived in the back of the Jeep as a spare for a couple years until I decided it was time to change it. It was too long, pissed off I threw it away. Fast forward a couple months later to today. I went to Napa and got another belt, guess what...it's too long.

I called Napa and the only thing they offered was to return it, great. I start with google and run across a thread here on WF. Water Dog posted this pic of the belt diagram in this thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/humbled-by-my-stupidity-again-814969.html

Thanks Water Dog for that post.

I've had this Jeep for 3 or 4 years and it's been fine, I had no reason to think it had the wrong belt routed the wrong way :censored:

The previous owner got a belt too short and routed it like this

Somehow, I haven't had an issue other than it would squeal above 3,000 rpm. This is only 1 of the stupid things I've fixed but I'll leave the original post with only this offering.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Just to add to your post, I replaced my worn belt but kept it as a spare. I drew the routing pattern on the box cover it came with so if I ever break it I won't have to guess the pattern on the trail.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I better go check that because my PO was a total dumbaxx. Fortunately I have been able to correct everything he did including he steering. But it was a challenge.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I like the idea of drawing the belt route on the extra belt's box. Great tip. I have been fortunate as the only thing the PO did on mine was install a pro comp lift that felt like i was riding on wet sponges. That has been fixed.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The belt routing diagram should be on top of your radiator, or at least mine is. I guess if you've had that replaced it won't be there.

POs of mine seem to have done a good job of owning it. It needed some maintenance done for sure, but nothing is broken and everything is in good shape. They did drive through a lot of mud at one point and I'm finding it all over the under side though. And despite having a soft top folded up in the back they traded it in without the windows or door surrounds which is mostly just annoying.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a 99 TJ and the PO removed the cat and then cut off the downstream O2 sensor leaving the wiring plugged into the harness. This caused a CEL so he just removed the bulb. I remedied this by just plugging a new sensor into the harness and placing it out of the way above the heat shield. No CEL since. This worked for my model but may not for later models. I may replace the cat one day but I don't have emissions testing here. Other than that it's a great jeep.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On my old YJ the previous owner had lost the soft top and ran a bikini top....year round...no garage...needless to say the reason I had to sell it was rust.

On my current TJ I found that the guy had installed an alarm system. Its a soft top...

·
Registered
262 Posts
This thread is for stupid things the previous owner did, feel free to add yours.

A couple years ago I bought an extra serpentine belt, it lived in the back of the Jeep as a spare for a couple years until I decided it was time to change it. It was too long, pissed off I threw it away. Fast forward a couple months later to today. I went to Napa and got another belt, guess what...it's too long.

I called Napa and the only thing they offered was to return it, great. I start with google and run across a thread here on WF. Water Dog posted this pic of the belt diagram in this thread http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/humbled-by-my-stupidity-again-814969.html

Thanks Water Dog for that post.

I've had this Jeep for 3 or 4 years and it's been fine, I had no reason to think it had the wrong belt routed the wrong way :censored:

The previous owner got a belt too short and routed it like this

Somehow, I haven't had an issue other than it would squeal above 3,000 rpm. This is only 1 of the stupid things I've fixed but I'll leave the original post with only this offering.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But wouldn't the two belt routings spin the water pump two different directions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't think so. What it does do is decrease the surface contact between the belt and the pulleys, which problem explains the squeel.

Only stupid thing my previous owner did was put an after marker speaker bar in Backwards.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Just to add to your post, I replaced my worn belt but kept it as a spare. I drew the routing pattern on the box cover it came with so if I ever break it I won't have to guess the pattern on the trail.
Another tip in this day an age, download the Naavigates app by Gates Belt. You can look up belt routing diagrams, belt part numbers, radiator hose numbers, even find closest dealer to pick up said parts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Po of my jeep I don't think did anything since 98. Well other than mess up random bits of wiring and plug the holes in the frame to speed up rust

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The back of the belt almost always runs on smooth pulleys.

Stupid things the PO of my TJ did.

- installed a spacer lift about 10 years ago and never realized that it disintegrated.
- 2 plugs out of the 6 were different.
- had a universal cat welded in, on both ends. made it interesting to swap out my catback

I'm sure there's more that I've forgotten by now but those are the ones that come to mind.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. But wouldn't the two belt routings spin the water pump two different directions.

from the picture and the drawing, yes it does look like the water pump would spend in the opposite direction of each other. At least from how I look at them.

·
Registered
221 Posts
The previous owner cut holes in the TUB of the Jeep- with what looks like a pair of bolt cutters, using his kneecaps.

Take a look for yourselves:

·
Registered
27 Posts
While replacing the front speakers recently, I removed the passenger speaker grill/cover to find this gem:

I guess the factory speaker quit, so they just threw in a spare Alpine Type S 5.25" they had sitting around...hanging by one screw. I had been wondering why I had this loud rattle when going over bumps...I don't have that rattle anymore.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't even know where to start but I do know that my findings continue everyday...

1. Welded the front tb drop bracket after breaking a bolt. Chunky ugly farm weld that was fun to grind off
2. Burned up a wire on the light switch. Instead of replacing the switch and pigtail, this person wired in a separate toggle that only runs the headlights. The rest of the lights are still on the oem switch
3. Welded the cat on but luckily only one side - muffler side
4. Paid $90 to a dealer to fix a rear hard brake line. The job looked like my 8 year old daughter fixed it in art class. Was home made. Not even oem.
5. Every sparkplug in it was a different gap - huge differences. Said he just tuned it up. Yeah all of the parts were new. Wrong plugs with wrong gaps...

I've only had it for about 4 months......

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

That's a really good idea!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
In both belt routing configurations, the water pump spins the same direction. I can see why it looks like that though.

3 inch body lift!!!
Mine had one of those too. I swapped it for a JKS 1.25 inch body lift.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The previous owner cut holes in the TUB of the Jeep- with what looks like a pair of bolt cutters, using his kneecaps.

Take a look for yourselves:

Looks like he used tin snips after an 18 pack. What was he thinking?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts