Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just about sorted out the details on my new build--trying to make a final decision on tires (BF Goodrich T/A KO2 versus Goodyear Duratrac in 315/70R17). These are my choices because I wanted severe snow service (mountain plus snowflake symbol) tires for the winter laws in my state.

The Duratrac's are listed as having 18/32" tread depth, while the KO2's are at 15/32". My current tires (33" Duratracs) wore out in 30K miles, so I'm tempted to go with the KO2's. Are there any advantages to the more or less tread depth other than: deeper tread probably better in snow (until it wear down), deeper tread might squirm more (so on road handling less precise, off road maybe more grip)?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I can't imagine running through a set of Duratracs in 30,000 miles. Mine are 315-70-17s that have 61,000 on them right now and still have 10/32" tread left. When new I ran them at 24# air pressure. Once they got to the mid 40s I upped that to around 28#. I rotated them every 5,000 also. Going to change them out in the next month or so with another set just like them in preparation for next winter. The only real issue has been the loss of wet pavement traction in the last few miles.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loss of wet pavement traction is why I am changing them out. They are at 2/32" at the shoulders, and 4/32" where tires are typically measured for wear. I rotated them every 5K miles, kept the appropriately aired (except when aired down on the trail--but always re-inflated before driving on the road), and I did 5 tire rotations. I am at a loss to explain the rapid tread wear.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If all the tires are similar with more tread in the middle, higher air pressure will even the wear out.

Different rubber compounds wear at different rates. I don't know what these tires use. But I'd expect a tire starting at 18/32 (my Dick Cepek Extreme Country started there) would be able to be softer, wear faster and still equal a harder compound starting at 15/32.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts