Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the EGR valve on my 2009 Wrangler as it was causing the check engine light to come on, even though the Jeep appeared to still drive well.

Immediately after replacing the valve the engine began stuttering randomly while driving and under acceleration typically in the 1500-2000 RPM range.

It still idles good, even if I rev the engine with it in neutral. It only happens when driving. There is no engine code being put up. I did some googling and found that the IAT or MAP sensor may be the problem so I cleaned them both off with some mass airflow sensor cleaner, but this seemed to have no affect. does anyone have any ideas on what the issue might be?

·
Retired Moderator
100,697 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I reconnected everything the way I took it apart the only lines on the EGR were the EGR tube and the electrical connector.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on my way home today and the engine light and ESP light came on and threw the code P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor - Intermittent. The Jeep began running a little rough, could this sensor have been causing the stuttering issues?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was on my way home today and the engine light and ESP light came on and threw the code P0339 - Crankshaft Position Sensor - Intermittent. The Jeep began running a little rough, could this sensor have been causing the stuttering issues?

Absolutely. Sounds like you found your problem.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Funny how you fix one thing then immediately something else goes out that is totally unrelated causing you to question the first fix.... "I replaced my windshield wipers and THEN my battery went dead! Those new wipers caused it!" Not making light of OP's situation, just sharing a Garage Metaphor that may bring a smile! Adapt, improvise, overcome! Carry on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I installed the new Crankshaft Position Sensor yesterday but the stuttering problem persisted. I was on my way home today and the CEL came on again with the same code P0339. I also noticed that the stutturing problem only seems to happen when the engine is warmed up. A friend at work mentioned it may be a timing chain stretch issue. The mechanic nearby is fully booked until January, so I cant geg in soon. Could the timing chain be the cause? This makes sense to me as it would warm up and expand causing the issue. The Jeep has 132000km on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I installed the new Crankshaft Position Sensor yesterday but the stuttering problem persisted. I was on my way home today and the CEL came on again with the same code P0339. I also noticed that the stutturing problem only seems to happen when the engine is warmed up. A friend at work mentioned it may be a timing chain stretch issue. The mechanic nearby is fully booked until January, so I cant geg in soon. Could the timing chain be the cause? This makes sense to me as it would warm up and expand causing the issue. The Jeep has 132000km on it.

It has been a long time since I have had to work on an engine, but it used to be that your symptoms would make me look at the 02 sensor. When the engine is warming up, the computer controls the mixture and the 02 sensor plays a bigger part after it is at operating temp. Don't just throw parts at it, but that is a place to look.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
What brand of cam crank sensor did you use? Not uncommon that they when they are on the way out, they usually fail when hot. That P0339 is for an intermittent crank sensor fault. Ideally you'd use an oscilloscope to view the wave form when the stuttering occurs. I'd check the 3 wires, 5v ref, ground and signal during the stuttering. I'd check at the pcm and at the sensor. My goal is to see if the new sensor is bad or if the wiring is an issue to the PCM.

I hate to disagree with NTXJKU, but the PCM really has identified direction in this case. The question what is the problem...is it the crank sensor, the wiring or the PCM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts