Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about attempting to install an under seat Sound Ordnance B-8PTD powered sub from Crutchfield in my son's 2015 JK 4 door, (base stereo, no factory sub.) He has an aftermarket Pioneer head unit with Car Play. We bought the Crutchfield wiring kit and I'm eying this under seat bracket: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Jeep-W...fiers-Bracket-w-mounting-options/113904451937

Anyone done this? Tips?

I'm thinking under the passenger seat vs under the driver's?

I can follow directions and fix things, but I don't know car audio wiring very well. Should I tackle or punt to a pro?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Give it a try! It's the only way to learn! Have your son help, too! A great father-son learning experience. The hardest part really is running the wires through the firewall. There is a small, plastic cap/grommet on the far side of the passenger side firewall that works great for running the wires through. If you have a question on the wiring, Crutchfield has great customer service as well.

I mounted my sub under the passenger seat as well but I built my own brackets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for quick replies. Crutchfield provided a general "master sheet" which shows how to remove the Wrangler head unit and speakers. Subwoofer has basic instructions but I'm sure it's different when you get to what's on the back of each head unit-- factory or aftermarket. I'm hoping someone here has done something similar and taken good pics. The pic links were broken on the best thread I found so far after searching for about an hour this AM.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Go for it!! Crutchfield has amazing service and will stay on the line with you as long as you need help. I had them on the line for over an hour a couple of years ago troubleshooting a head unit install. It sounds like you're doing a basic sub and head unit install so just take your time and use their service. And definitely use YouTube as well.

Sent from somewhere in Missouri

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I bought the same bracket off eBay to mount the sub to. It mounts to the seat frame. I’ve done one in my ‘15 and one in my wife’s ‘16. Both under drivers seats. Exact same sub unit.
There’s a bracket for seat sensor that needs to be removed and the sensor gets zip tied to the seat frame. I had to do a bit of grinding on the bracket so I could use existing seat frame holes. I mounted the sub to the bracket with 2 wide strips of sticky back velcro. No movement at all. Wiring should be easy with the Crutchfield install instructions. The dash panels are easy to remove.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Easy job! With Cruthfields help and directions will make it easy..

I used a similar sub bracket from eBay that was the original and works well. Maybe coat in dynamate.

Hell, give me $15 and shippignand you can have mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brandofamily: any reason you chose driver vs passenger seat? Is the seat sensor an airbag thing?

Dirt Boy:what are you offering for $15 and shipping? And where do I get Dynamate? I assume Amazon, but would a local place have it?

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Brandofamily: any reason you chose driver vs passenger seat? Is the seat sensor an airbag thing?

Dirt Boy:what are you offering for $15 and shipping? And where do I get Dynamate? I assume Amazon, but would a local place have it?

Mine fits under the passenger seat. The tray covered already.
Just pay shipping as I was going to trash it.

Dynamat stop the tray from rattling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
The sensor is for seat occupancy. A weight sensor plug not the actual sensor.
I went for driver side for 2 reasons. 1st I already had a storage box under the passenger side and 2nd since I drive alone mostly I figured I’d get more of the feel of the sub w/ less volume.
BTW no Dynamat and zero vibration. Velcro mount might help w/ that.

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
The sensor is for seat occupancy. A weight sensor plug not the actual sensor.
I went for driver side for 2 reasons. 1st I already had a storage box under the passenger side and 2nd since I drive alone mostly I figured I’d get more of the feel of the sub w/ less volume.
BTW no Dynamat and zero vibration. Velcro mount might help w/ that.

I had velcro on my KICKER HS8. Rattled the metal tray like crazy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys.

Dirt Boy, I appreciate the offer, I ordered the eBay one earlier this AM. I just checked, I’d be on the hook for return shipping. It doesn’t fit a TJ does it?

·
Premium Member
2,940 Posts
Thanks guys.

Dirt Boy, I appreciate the offer, I ordered the eBay one earlier this AM. I just checked, I’d be on the hook for return shipping. It doesn’t fit a TJ does it?

No idea. Made for JK/JKU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts