Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm desperately trying to upgrade my sound situation without spending crazy cash in the process. My question is am I better off upgrading my speakers and hook them up to an amp or just keep my stock setup ( no current subwoofer) and add a sub? I know I'll have to upgrade my factory head unit in the process but I'm conflicted on whether which will get me the better sound. please let me know any thoughts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just did simple Infinity 6032I Speakers in the sound bar and the Tweeter upgrade, and my sound system sounds fantastic now. All in all it cost me 65$ and only had to solder the tweeters. Took about 45 mins to do everything. I plan on putting in an 8" kicker sub in the rear and a new head unit sometime.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I had the factory alpine system in my Freedom edition JKU. I had upgraded the rear sub and the soundbar speakers. Total cost was about $130. I saw a little improvement with the factory 130 head unit.

Last weekend I installed the Raxiom nav head unit. That woke my stereo system up. The sound improvement was drastic! I love it now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey simple dude, I also looked into it. Idk where you looked but when it comes to audio I order off Crutchfield.com. They have enclosures just for jeeps where the sub would fit between the rear bars and floor by the wheel well. As far as price it will depend on the brand. I personally wanted to go with marine grade sub and amp and speakers just because I have the freedom top and if I get caught with the top off and it rains I don't want them to get ruined. If you just want better sound id say upgrade your speakers and tweeter and run an amp to them. If you want more bass a small 10" sub should give you good bass. Well I just realized how old this thread is. What did you end up doing?

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
Depends on what year you have - if its a 2014 or earlier then -

Easiest thing would be to do these two inexpensive mods

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-tweeter-mod-cheap-662985.html

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/speaker-upgrade-infinity-6032si-904409.html

and if you want more bass then look at a sub/amp setup that fits your desires

I did these plus the subwoofer mod (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/subwoofer-mod-replacement-921921.html) on my stock premium audio with the 430 radio and it sounds much nicer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just posted this thread today - any feedback on the difference an amp makes to upgraded speakers? I will be ordering my equipment from crutchfield but paying to have it all installed so it might just be more cost efficient to throw the amp install in with the dash speakers and headunit

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
In the same boat. Does anyone know if my non-alpine jku has the wires already run to the subwoofer location in the back? I got a great deal on a sub and want to improve my tunes without spending big $$$.
I have Polk DB651 in the sound bar with poly fill. Looking at adding Polk DB6501 in the front. Or should I switch to the infinity 2ohm speakers.

Also. Anyone know of a good amp to run off my factory 130 head unit ? Don't have the $$ for a new head unit so I'm kinda stuck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts