Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i am getting a 10" mtx audio subwoofer with an 800 watt amp put in the jeep behind the back seat...i've heard that a tj's shouldn't be used for jump starting other cars...does this mean that the battery is weak? is the battery strong enough to hold up to this setup? will my battery die?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
It depends on how many amps the power amplifier will pull. Check the amp to see what the draw is.

The reason you can't jump start is due to this could cause voltage spikes and damage the cpu.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do i check the amp to see what the draw is?? ya i heard something about voltage spikes when that was said but im not sure what that is

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
You could just check the box the amplifier came in or check on the amplifier itself

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
urban legend?
old wives tale?
maybe I was just lucky......I put it to the test last weekend.
Frank left the back open (interior lights on) on the Tahoe and drained the battery, used my Jeep for a jump start, no problems......yet? :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey BigJeep i am rumming 2 12" 1200 watt sony exploids in a box behind the rear just like you are plus a 1200 watt sony amp and i dont have any problem with the battery. I have had my sub/amp set up for almost a year now and i have'nt had any problems with the battery at all so far.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
amerijeep said:
Well, I think if you look in the owners manual, it will tell you no jumping.
so, I shouldn't play with fire or press my luck, huh?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
firstaidTJ said:
so, I shouldn't play with fire or press my luck, huh?

I really don't know. I've always been told that by the jeep dealer, but I haven't ever tried to verify it.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
97REDTJ said:
Hey BigJeep i am rumming 2 12" 1200 watt sony exploids in a box behind the rear just like you are plus a 1200 watt sony amp and i dont have any problem with the battery. I have had my sub/amp set up for almost a year now and i have'nt had any problems with the battery at all so far.
alright thanks a lot...then i should be fine...thanks for the help

·
Registered
237 Posts
That also applies to roll starting the Jeep too. I've done it to TJ's before with no negative effects, but I've seen what it can do to a motorcycle.
I had an '04 Triumph Daytona 600.
The shop let my bike battery die, so instead of putting it on charge, they just roll started it and let it run. It fried the ECU. Everything on the bike was digital too, so nothing worked.
They ended up having to replace the ECU ($2000)

·
Registered
541 Posts
amerijeep I am NOT calling you a liar but i used my Jeep the other day to jump start a friend in a Ford. nothing messed up so far.

BigJeep. you will have no problems running a "800" watt amp to push 1 10''. are you using a downward firing box?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hardy1531 said:
amerijeep I am NOT calling you a liar but i used my Jeep the other day to jump start a friend in a Ford. nothing messed up so far.

BigJeep. you will have no problems running a "800" watt amp to push 1 10''. are you using a downward firing box?
no amerijeep isn't a liar...jeep really does say that it isn't good to use it to jumpstart...it might not effect everyones jeep but some people have had problems after jumpstarts...some posted threads around here because they had problems after the jumpstart

hardy, alright thanks...but no it fires towards the seat

i got it installed with no problems

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't know what the answer to the "jumping" debate is. I know about electronics and know that damage can sometimes happen over time, right away and takes awhile for any symptoms to show, or maybe never.

I'd like to find out where DM/ Jeep really stands on this. I think I would probably avoid jumping if I could, but I would never leave anyone stranded. I'd rather chance it than leave someone stuck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
OK.... my 2 cents on the jump starting debate. I work for a small robotics company and my job is designing industrial computer control systems. Yes it is true that inductive kickback from motors, coils, and solenoids, can blow holes in the silicon wafers of ICs, although there are ways to protect against this and I sure hope that Chrysler would incorporate such protection in there computers. Now that I’ve said that, I’m going to add that our Jeep computers must be protected well enough to run our own starters. How different is it running a starter in another jeep through 12’ wire? 12’ of wire will lower the voltage to the starter which would also lower the kickback. Next thing, your battery is a giant capacitor (in theory) which will absorb quick voltage spikes. Ok… personal experience… I run an Oasis HP 1000 air compressor on my Jeep. At max load it pulls about 180 amps (Rated, I never measured). I have it mounted in the back of my Jeep and have run about 8’-9’ feet of #4 wire to the battery. I have run this setup for the past 6 – 8 months with no problem. I use this compressor for air tools, filling tires, blowing out filters, you name it, and I have not had a problem. Also winch motors are equivalent to starter motors, and I see a lot of Jeeps with winches. Now for the flip side…. I could see possible damage if you had a bad connection to the battery, or maybe a very weak battery. Maybe this is what Chrysler is trying to protect us from.

OK… 2 more cents. I think it’s perfectly OK to jump start another vehicle with your jeep but if you’re not sure or your battery or battery connections are questionable. Put the jumper cables on the other vehicle and let your jeep run for 15 – 20 minutes to charge the other vehicles battery then disconnect the cables and start the other vehicle off of it’s own battery.

Frank

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
good grief - we don't hear from you in months and then you write that long post :eek:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts