Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I'd post my experience here in case anyone is thinking of doing the same. I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara and I upgraded the receiver (Alpine CDE-143BT), small amp (Alpine 445) and speakers (Polk Audio), all purchased from Crutchfield. When I was finished, I was disappointed with the end result. That's when I started looking at subs and found the Sound Ordnance B-8PT amp/sub combo. It made a world of difference to the overall sound of the Jeep. I can now cruise at highway speeds with the top down and hear the stereo loud and clear. I highly recommend this little sub.

I ended up installing the sub in the secure trunk area, and it worked well. Will post some photos so you can see how it turned out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Before I installed it in the rear, I wanted to test it all out. The long wires of the Alpine 445 amp allowed everything to be removed from the dash for easy access.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Mounting it here allowed it to be someplace secure (locked) and kept it off the floor board and away from water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I had to add in the wood blocks to protect the back of the rear seat from the sheet metal screws which came through. Added black duct tape to the top of the wooden blocks so it would not snag the seat. Not pretty, but it worked.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I am not seeing any pics...

Seems like a decent unit with good reviews. Might be something I look into. I dont listen to music that loud but something to hear going down the hiway would be nice.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I am too looking to do something like this. Wondering about taking a few steps.
1 Subwoofer
2 Head Unit replace
3 Polk speakers in sound pods (I am searching for a way to get the larger speakers in there)
4 Polk speakers in the front
5 Amps

I have to take this one step at a time. Perhaps the order I have can be changed.

I would love to see the photos above as well.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
I figured I'd post my experience here in case anyone is thinking of doing the same. I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara and I upgraded the receiver (Alpine CDE-143BT), small amp (Alpine 445) and speakers (Polk Audio), all purchased from Crutchfield. When I was finished, I was disappointed with the end result. That's when I started looking at subs and found the Sound Ordnance B-8PT amp/sub combo. It made a world of difference to the overall sound of the Jeep. I can now cruise at highway speeds with the top down and hear the stereo loud and clear. I highly recommend this little sub. I ended up installing the sub in the secure trunk area, and it worked well. Will post some photos so you can see how it turned out.
Very close to what I am currently installing. Everything works and plays well together. The stock sub box sucks, so I am making one based on plans I found here. I am also making my amp mount and have not yet fully worked out its final form. My little Kicker sub was great, but the stock box was just too bad to reinforce it much. Here is a list of what I ended up getting.

• Alpine UTE-52BT Bluetooth Mechless Digital Receiver
• Alpine KTP-445A Head Unit Power Pack
• Alpine MRV-M250 Mono V-Power Digital Amp
• Polk db521 5.25" Marine Coaxial Speakers
• Polk db5251 5.25"/2" Marine Component Speakers
• Kicker 40CWRT672 CompRT 6.75" Dual Voice Coil 2 Ohm Subwoofer
• Nalin 5.25" TJ Dash Adapter Brackets
• Nalin 2" TJ Tweeter Brackets
• Homemade Sub Enclosure
• Homemade Amp Bracket
• Big 3 Wire and Terminal Upgrade
• Remove stock harness and rewire everything in 14 AWG OFC

Uses Metra 70-6502 wiring harness half to Jeep.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
I am about to buy an old, American-made, smaller-sized table saw off of CraigsList. With that I will be able to make my sub enclosure and finish my stereo install.

I finished my sub box cardboard mock-up and found that the design I snagged off the Internet was something I could improve upon.

I downloaded a free 3D CAD application and learned to use it. Then I started entering my measurements.

This was really eye-opening and I had a friend look it over. Using his ideas I have reworked it into something pretty slick that I might be able to make here at the house to a very high level of quality.

Here is a still of the final design. Sorry about the blingy colors, but I needed to be able to see how the parts interconnect.

If it works well then I might make like ten or twelve to sell. I would make the plans available for free, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am about to buy an old, American-made, smaller-sized table saw off of CraigsList. With that I will be able to make my sub enclosure and finish my stereo install.

I finished my sub box cardboard mock-up and found that the design I snagged off the Internet was something I could improve upon.

I downloaded a free 3D CAD application and learned to use it. Then I started entering my measurements.

This was really eye-opening and I had a friend look it over. Using his ideas I have reworked it into something pretty slick that I might be able to make here at the house to a very high level of quality.

Here is a still of the final design. Sorry about the blingy colors, but I needed to be able to see how the parts interconnect.

If it works well then I might make like ten or twelve to sell. I would make the plans available for free, too.
Depending on pricing, I might buy one. There's a fiberglass box available on various sites for around $275 IIRC.

·
Detail Oriented
3,172 Posts
Depending on pricing, I might buy one. There's a fiberglass box available on various sites for around $275 IIRC.
Eh, I cannot imagine these selling for less than $200 because I cannot get wholesale prices on all the stuff and the labor appears to be quite a number of hours. I can see making simple sealed cube sub boxes and more complex ported ones for a lot less since they are relatively easy to make. Once you have done the math to make a good box the labor is not super involved. I have built stuff like this in the past and have watched a guy make sub boxes. This one for the TJ has been a real project.

I will probably make a few for fun and see if they sell and whether I can live with the price I end up setting. We shall see.

It would probably be a better deal for the largely-DIY TJ community to just offer up the plans with measurements and instructions for free.

I don't know. I just don't see making them to sell being much more than a labor of love.

The problem is that I am anal retentive, and there are so many speakers out there for it to possibly accept.

Perhaps I can fix this by buying a sub, installing it and selling the box with the sub. That would be sort of cool. Who knows? Maybe I will become a millionaire. But if I can pay for my costs and still buy beer and pizza I will be happy!

Got the old table saw home. It is American-made and not the Taiwanese stuff that company sold later on before dumping woodworking tools altogether - Made in Pennsylvania in the early 1970s. I was also pleased to see that it is not a tilt table version but a more modern tilting blade. Much safer! I am old school, but I need all ten fingers for my job! :thumb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Mine did not originally have the sub in it. I gutted the console, then slid it right over the sub.
Mine didn't either. I ditched the mounting hardware that came with it and made my own and it's fine now. It's a great little until, not obnoxiously loud but just a little bass. Made the rest of my system sound awesome.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I wish I could upgrade to another deck, but mine has lifetime XM radio paid for by someone else....gotta love it

·
Registered
157 Posts
I went the same route of upgraded head unit- ken wood and new Polk speakers in front and sound bar. I have the new sound ordnance 8bpt powered sub and installed it under rear seat. It sounds amazing and no need for a sub in a box that would take up the limited trunk room. All was easy to install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I figured I'd post my experience here in case anyone is thinking of doing the same. I have a 2000 Wrangler Sahara and I upgraded the receiver (Alpine CDE-143BT), small amp (Alpine 445) and speakers (Polk Audio), all purchased from Crutchfield. When I was finished, I was disappointed with the end result. That's when I started looking at subs and found the Sound Ordnance B-8PT amp/sub combo. It made a world of difference to the overall sound of the Jeep. I can now cruise at highway speeds with the top down and hear the stereo loud and clear. I highly recommend this little sub.

I ended up installing the sub in the secure trunk area, and it worked well. Will post some photos so you can see how it turned out.
I am looking to do the install with very similar powered sub... Do you have pics?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts