Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just installed the Alpine iLX-W650 head unit with a PAC RP4-CH11 interface into my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK (with Alpine premium sound). Also installed a backup camera. Everything is working flawlessly except my factory sub woofer is very quiet now... Way more quiet than with the factory head unit.

I also made the correct wiring connections in the RP4-CH11 for vehicles with factory amplifiers.

I know that the PAC RP4-CH11 loses back/front fading, but would that affect my sub? Any other ideas? Because I'm at a dead end. Any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
You actually may lose some of the sub. I'm having the same issues now with my '14, installed a maestro that is supposed to retain the fader, but at present time is not. My rear speakers and sub are noticeably quieter. when I fade from front to back my rear speakers and sub fade with the front until all is completely quiet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the PAC RP4-CH11 and my sub is fully functional. I would say go over your wiring as well as making sure that you arent shorting. User Mike Mike is well versed in this area.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
You actually may lose some of the sub. I'm having the same issues now with my '14, installed a maestro that is supposed to retain the fader, but at present time is not. My rear speakers and sub are noticeably quieter. when I fade from front to back my rear speakers and sub fade with the front until all is completely quiet.
What radio? If the radio does not have a network plug in the back, the fader will not work. I used a PAC with my first Pioneer, a AVHX-2700BS and never had a problem with the sub. Now using the Maestro with a MVH-2300NEX.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
it is a 2300NEX, and I just found out my problemo from Bob Sanders this morning. I had failed to hook up the data cable.

·
Retired Moderator
100,572 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the PAC RP4-CH11 and my sub is fully functional. I would say go over your wiring as well as making sure that you arent shorting. User Mike Mike is well versed in this area.
Thanks for the contact. I've gone over my wiring and I don't see anything that could be causing the issue...

The sub is working, but it is so much quieter than before. The iLX-W650 has the ability to access sub woofer settings in the sound settings and when I turn sub woofer "on" and mess with the levels, there is no difference at all, almost like there isn't a sub in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
So I do not have the factory subwoofer. I do have the Alpine iLX-W650, along with a multitude of Android head units.

And I have a multimeter and a SMD DD-1. However, I don't claim to know how to use either well.

And as luck would have it, last weekend I spent about 9 hours applying sound dampening to the front and rear seat area of my Jeep, and installed a NVX sub and amplifier.

My sub sounds like crap. In fact I thought it wasn't even working at first.

I also had a Joying head unit to test and I had the same issues. I tried breaking out the DD-1 and the multimeter but I was exhausted after a long hot day of working on the Jeep.

I ended up leaving in the Alpine iLX-W650 in since I knew the Android head units were prone to low voltage on the RCAs.

After messing with it a little bit and cranking the gain way high, I can get some audio from the sub, but it isn't great.

So I have a few theories:

I might have a bad ground point, I will be testing it this weekend again.

The Alpine might also have low voltage for the RCAs, I have a line driver I am going to install to see if it helps.

And maybe the Alpine is just lame.

I would lean towards the RCAs having low voltage but I am assuming if you have the factory amp you aren't using the RCAs.

I know it has been said, but as someone who has wired up a ton of head units and made a ton of mistakes, go ahead and double check and triple check your wires, it is pretty easy to make a mistake.

So yeah, no definite answer unfortunately, but I wi be doing more testing this weekend and will report back.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I do not have the factory subwoofer. I do have the Alpine iLX-W650, along with a multitude of Android head units.

And I have a multimeter and a SMD DD-1. However, I don't claim to know how to use either well.

And as luck would have it, last weekend I spent about 9 hours applying sound dampening to the front and rear seat area of my Jeep, and installed a NVX sub and amplifier.

My sub sounds like crap. In fact I thought it wasn't even working at first.

I also had a Joying head unit to test and I had the same issues. I tried breaking out the DD-1 and the multimeter but I was exhausted after a long hot day of working on the Jeep.

I ended up leaving in the Alpine iLX-W650 in since I knew the Android head units were prone to low voltage on the RCAs.

After messing with it a little bit and cranking the gain way high, I can get some audio from the sub, but it isn't great.

So I have a few theories:

I might have a bad ground point, I will be testing it this weekend again.

The Alpine might also have low voltage for the RCAs, I have a line driver I am going to install to see if it helps.

And maybe the Alpine is just lame.

I would lean towards the RCAs having low voltage but I am assuming if you have the factory amp you aren't using the RCAs.

I know it has been said, but as someone who has wired up a ton of head units and made a ton of mistakes, go ahead and double check and triple check your wires, it is pretty easy to make a mistake.

So yeah, no definite answer unfortunately, but I wi be doing more testing this weekend and will report back.

Thanks Mike, I will be standing by for your update this weekend. Your right, since I have the factory amp, I did not use the RCAs. I will double and triple check my wiring this weekend and I will let you know if I find the issue.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Thanks for the contact. I've gone over my wiring and I don't see anything that could be causing the issue...

The sub is working, but it is so much quieter than before. The iLX-W650 has the ability to access sub woofer settings in the sound settings and when I turn sub woofer "on" and mess with the levels, there is no difference at all, almost like there isn't a sub in the vehicle.

You can not access or control the (alpine premium sound) sub woofer settings on the w650 with the PAC unit. The only can bus adapter which REALLY works with the alpine premium sound (including fade) is the idatalink Maestro. Unfortunately the 650 is one of the few alpine units which is not maestro compatible.

Make sure you have the latest pac unit. The new ones work with the sub, while the older versions don't

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can not access or control the (alpine premium sound) sub woofer settings on the w650 with the PAC unit. The only can bus adapter which REALLY works with the alpine premium sound (including fade) is the idatalink Maestro. Unfortunately the 650 is one of the few alpine units which is not maestro compatible.

Make sure you have the latest pac unit. The new ones work with the sub, while the older versions don't
Well, that would be my luck :pcwhack:

If I get an aftermarket sub and amp, will the PAC be able to handle it? I'm assuming this is just an issue with the factory alpine system in the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
.............And as luck would have it, last weekend I spent about 9 hours applying sound dampening to the front and rear seat area of my Jeep, and installed a NVX sub and amplifier.

My sub sounds like crap. In fact I thought it wasn't even working at first.......
Looking through the owners manual it looks like there is a subwoofer level out setting. Initial setting is 0, adjustable from 0-15. Remember before adjusting this turn the gain down on you amp and then re-adjust.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts

If I get an aftermarket sub and amp, will the PAC be able to handle it? I'm assuming this is just an issue with the factory alpine system in the Jeep.
If you go this route the PAC will not even come into play.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Looking through the owners manual it looks like there is a subwoofer level out setting. Initial setting is 0, adjustable from 0-15. Remember before adjusting this turn the gain down on you amp and then re-adjust.
Yeah that's what the OP mentioned too. It has an on off button and a phase button. It is pretty good.

I am pretty sure my issue is the grounding, but I will determine that this weekend.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts

Yeah... the problem with the alpine amp (which is actually a sound processor as well as an amp) is that the Jeep's can bus system controls it. There are no aftermarket head units with the DIRECT ability to make adjustments through can bus. It has to be handled through the idatalink Maestro. So if your unit is not maestro compatible.....

An aftermarket amp CAN be directly controlled through the head unit so there will be no issues with that idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah... the problem with the alpine amp (which is actually a sound processor as well as an amp) is that the Jeep's can bus system controls it. There are no aftermarket head units with the DIRECT ability to make adjustments through can bus. It has to be handled through the idatalink Maestro. So if your unit is not maestro compatible.....

An aftermarket amp CAN be directly controlled through the head unit so there will be no issues with that idea.
Thanks for the response. I actually just looked at my wiring and everything checked out. So....... Just going to invest in a new amp and avoid trying to troubleshoot further.

Thank you all for your responses, they were very helpful.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I finally worked on my issue this weekend and I had a grounding issue. Once I changed to a different grounding point my sub works great with the Alpine iLX-W650

That’s great! Do you mind me asking where you grounded from initially and what you switched it to?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts