Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there a lots of threads about upgrading the sound in our jeeps. I've learned a lot from them and will be installing an upgraded system (Polk dx6501 components for the front and dx651s for the overheads) this weekend. I will also be adding a Rockford Fosgate P300-12. I'm hoping this will be something that is portable enough to take in and out as storage is needed. My question is...since I know there will be times that I want to remove the new sub/amp combo, is there a way to also keep the current 8" sub? So, run them both and then only the factory sub when the aftermarket is out?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't know the intricacies of the JK's PWM electrical system, or if the sound system is in any way connected within the PWM system. If it's not, you can install a toggle switch inline with one of the wires goin to the subwoofer within its enclosure. Sure, an audiophile will argue it introduces noise, but you won't be able to hear anything off, trust me. That way, when you have the other subwoofer box in, you flip the switch and the positive or negative wire going to the stock sub is broken, turning it off.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Well...
its just wires that leave the amp and go to the harness in the back which plugs into the sub... so do with it as you wish. The stock sub is terrible anyways, so you wont every hear an audiophile complain about it because they wouldnt ever keep it. Its extremely underpowered.

I would suggest just removing it and wire up the new sub with a new amp (with line level inputs) in line if you plan on keeping the stock amp configuration but want more power. If you are worried about someone stealing your new sub, turn it down before you get to your destination to avoid advertising, dont park in crappy areas, keep it inconspicuous (throw a dirty blanket over it) or attach it more permanently.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run an amplified bazooka tube in addition to the factory sub. Just spliced into the wires. Work fine and removable. The bazooka is 10 times louder than the factory sub.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All good info. All of the new audio gear arrived today, I'll install this weekend. Will try the splice and if thats a no go I will remove the factory sub and move on...thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts