Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 SE. I don't think it came with a oem sub, but it has the space available for it in the center console. I don't want anything that shakes cars just to add tone to my music. Does anyone know of a place that sells cheap after market ones that are still decent and are pretty much plug and play

Thank you

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yes there are a number of powered subs. Go to to Crutchfield and look at the selection (buy cheaper elswhere). I have the Kenwood SW10

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neil F. said:
Yes there are a number of powered subs. Go to to Crutchfield and look at the selection (buy cheaper elswhere). I have the Kenwood SW10
And your kenwood fit directly into the center consol? Was it a plug and play or was there any other mods that had to be done? Where did you buy it as well

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just put a 6.5 inch kicker in the console to replace my blown factory one. It is a little deeper than the stock so I had to grind out some plastic in the console, but that took 30 seconds

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeembro said:
I just put a 6.5 inch kicker in the console to replace my blown factory one. It is a little deeper than the stock so I had to grind out some plastic in the console, but that took 30 seconds
Did u need to put an amp in with that?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
raramirez said:
Did u need to put an amp in with that?
Yes, but it depends on if your jeep came with a stock center console sub. If it came with one, you can keep the stock, low power amp and swap in a sub, but if you are like me and never had one stock, you need to buy/make a box, install an amp, and wire it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
A tip.

Downfire your box to prevent tailgate rattling. 1 10 in a well designed box is more than enough.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeepwayoflife said:
Yes, but it depends on if your jeep came with a stock center console sub. If it came with one, you can keep the stock, low power amp and swap in a sub, but if you are like me and never had one stock, you need to buy/make a box, install an amp, and wire it.
I don't think mine came with one. Is it normal for the se to not have one? The center console has the opening for one. Also can you send me pics of where you mounted your amp.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Derp said:
A tip.

Downfire your box to prevent tailgate rattling. 1 10 in a well designed box is more than enough.
I don't understand what this means. Sorry, can you explain

·
Registered
274 Posts
raramirez said:
I don't understand what this means. Sorry, can you explain
He's talking about putting in a new 10 inch sub in the trunk space in a custom box. If you're going to just put a small mid range sub in the center console that doesn't apply to you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
raramirez said:
I don't think mine came with one. Is it normal for the se to not have one? The center console has the opening for one. Also can you send me pics of where you mounted your amp.
You can see my amp is where it's right user the rear seat so I can fold it down and hide it and not worry about it. I also attached pics of what I have it powering (sound bar speakers and center console sub). There are writeups on here that talk about hiding a small amp under the driver side steering column area too

Attachments

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
No b.s. I got a cheap 12 (Dual) and a cheap amp (Dual) from Walmart, built my own box, and put it behind my back seat. It sounds GTEAT, even with the top down.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dewstr1 said:
No b.s. I got a cheap 12 (Dual) and a cheap amp (Dual) from Walmart, built my own box, and put it behind my back seat. It sounds GTEAT, even with the top down.
12's take up too much space and are not nearly as tight and responsive as 10's. Especially with the space issue in a jeep i suggest an 8 or 10

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
10 would have been ideal, but fired down, in a well built box, one 12 sounds pretty damn good.....especially for 80 bux. It's cheap.....who cares if it rains?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dewstr1 said:
10 would have been ideal, but fired down, in a well built box, one 12 sounds pretty damn good.....especially for 80 bux. It's cheap.....who cares if it rains?
Sound stream makes a high excursion low power 10 for 95$....

I'm just not a 12 guy.

On a side note I can't decide whether or not I want to take my backseat out for another 10

·
Registered
7,180 Posts
Derp said:
Sound stream makes a high excursion low power 10 for 95$....

I'm just not a 12 guy.

On a side note I can't decide whether or not I want to take my backseat out for another 10
Why would ya need to take out the back seat?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Derp said:
A tip.

Take this advice ^^ I have a 10 inch in my trunk and it faces the tailgate...it sounds great inside if the sub and everything is turned up, but out side you just hear rattling like non other

·
Registered
583 Posts
NorthwestTJ said:
Take this advice ^^ I have a 10 inch in my trunk and it faces the tailgate...it sounds great inside if the sub and everything is turned up, but out side you just hear rattling like non other
True story. Been their -_-

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeembro said:
You can see my amp is where it's right user the rear seat so I can fold it down and hide it and not worry about it. I also attached pics of what I have it powering (sound bar speakers and center console sub). There are writeups on here that talk about hiding a small amp under the driver side steering column area too
Thank you

1 - 20 of 29 Posts