Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want some advice as to purchasing subwoofers. I have my heart set on two 12 inch Kicker L7s, but I am concerned about fitting them in my car. I want to keep the backseat to my 1998 Wrangler but also fit in the subwoofers. Does anyone recommend a case that will fit in the trunk? Also, what would be the best way to waterproof the subwoofers?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
First, you will not "waterproof" the subs. If you want something that will withstand the elements with the top off you might want to look into marine grade subwoofers (just google it).

Secondly, I love nice tight, yet deep, bass response. This is of course when levels of mid bass, midrange, and high frequency are appropriately balanced with the bass. With that said, I have two tens in the back of my LJ right now and it's literally too much bass. I plan on either doing a custom under the rear seat box for; 1x10, 2x8, or possibly (but I seriously doubt) 1x12. Then again I can get more bass from a compound loaded pair of 8" subs than many people get with a 12" sub (or even a pair) with the same power.

So, since you asked. In my opinion the best place for subs in our beloved jeeps is either killing the space along the side by the rear wheel well, or under the rear seat. It depends in your level of skill with building boxes. The best size sub is either 2x8", 1x10", or 1x12" depending on how you build your box, what the subs specs are, how much and what kind of power you out to it, and the type of bass response you are looking for. ;)

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 1998 TJ with one 10" Kicker, and I love it. Thinking about building the hidden rear seat sub box, just don't know if I can tear up my rear seat.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have one ten in the back. The only time i wouldn't consider it loud enough is when the top is off. Then and only then would I not mind having two 10's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts