Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
Well, I have owned this CJ7 for almost 6 years and 5 of the last 6 years she has been sitting in pieces in the garage. I had the grand idea that I would swap the tub out by myself because the original tub looked like swiss cheese. (If I could do it over again I never should have bought this Jeep - OH WELL!). Once it is finished - Hopefully over the winter or by spring - it will all be worth the wait... I hope.

Here is the pile of rust when I picked up :lmao:- I was in love. Yes, I got a good deal on it since I could practically drive it Fred Flinstone style because of all the rot in the floor pans:whacky:

More to come - have a bunch of pics of progress...

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The point of NO RETURN! Started yanking stuff apart... 5 years ago:lmao: Yeah. That is all I have to say about that. Thankfully things are headed in the right direction finally! So here are a couple pics of the mistake - thinking I had time to take the CJ7 completely apart and rebuild it on my own... :doh2: It sat in the garage for almost 5 years. Completely stripped down to the frame...

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So 5 years after having it torn apart and having 4 year old twin girls I finally decide I was either going to part it out and sell everything off or I was gonna find someone to rebuild it for me.

As you can already tell - I am a sucker for Jeeps. My first Jeep was a 95 YJ I had in college. I started my business after college and had to sell the Jeep to get a work truck. Ever since I sold the YJ I wanted another Jeep. I finally bought the CJ7 when the wife was pregnant with our twin girls - terrible timing and I have no idea what I was thinking. :crazy: Twins and free time do not go together! I also work 6 days a week and enjoy spending my other time with the family so rebuilding this thing is beyond my time and capabilities at the moment.

Definitely bit off more than I could chew, but I am bartering with a guy who is gonna get this thing done! Finally! Here are some pics before and after sand blasting.

to be continued tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More pics... Body is primed. Frame was completely pressure washed and sprayed with black paint

Attachments

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What the CJ has - inline 6 cylinder, 4 speed manual trans, 4" Rough Country suspension lift installed with I believe a 3/4 or 1/2 body lift, large shackles, steering stabalizer

Stuff I ordered today:

Windsheild Frame
Magnaflow Catalytic converter
Hedman Hedders
Borla Muffler
Exhaust pipe
Door latches
Windshield Holddowns
Bestop Hood Latch
15 Piece Seal kit - all new seals - tailgate, doors windshield, cowl
Battery Tray
4 Level 8 Tracker wheels 15x8's
4 35x12.50 Hankook Dynapro Mt's today

·
Registered
221 Posts
Thanks for posting Sucker. I'm gonna enjoy watching this build.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow!!
Very cool Sucker.
I'm excited for you...not your wallet...OUCH!!
But it will be worth it to you when it's done.
It's going to look badass!!

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks EZ St on MT and Caps71! I'm looking forward to getting this thing back on the road! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. It was a great feeling getting the wheels and tires ordered yesterday.

So to get caught up on the build... I'm trying to remember some of the stuff I bought for this thing over the past few years and remembered a few things I needed to add to the list of parts:
Aluminum Valve Cover for the engine
Skyjacker Steering stabalizer
Herculined the inside of the tub

Speaking of the engine... I hope this thing runs! It ran ok before I stripped it down, but it has been 5 years since it was started :eek:. I really hope it runs ok because I'm not wanting to do a complete rebuild on the engine or drop a V8 in it right now. Not planning on driving this thing over 55 MPH anyway.

Here is a picture of the tub all painted up in the color blue I am going with:

He has got the body back on the frame and I will hopefully be getting some more pics soon. Can't wait to see it put back together!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looking great, SP. You're a brave man to take this on and it will be well worth it!!

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks NorCalRubi!

I've got a couple new pics of the tub on the frame. I think I went overboard on the lift :eek:! Hopefully the 35's will fill in a lot better than those small dry rotted tires!

Maybe I need to remove those big shackles and replace with more of a stock size shackle. Guess I will wait and see what the 35's look like on it. First thing I thought when I saw these pics was Holy crap!

·
Registered
94 Posts
WOW!!!
The frame sits above the tires..
It's going to look like a Stomper truck..(you know, the toy truck from the 80's that ran on two double A batteries, and we all tore one Stomper truck body apart, so we could use the tabs from it to glue on another body to give it a lift.)

KIDDING!!
It looks awesome...to tell you the truth I'm a 'I'll jealous...not gonna lie.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOW!!!
The frame sits above the tires..
It's going to look like a Stomper truck..(you know, the toy truck from the 80's that ran on two double A batteries, and we all tore one Stomper truck body apart, so we could use the tabs from it to glue on another body to give it a lift.)

KIDDING!!
It looks awesome...to tell you the truth I'm a 'I'll jealous...not gonna lie.
Thanks Caps! I'm hoping I didn't overdo the lift. It should look a lot better once the 35's get on. I may have to swap out the large shackles for smaller shackles to reduce the lift height. Also thinking I'm gonna have to order a CV Drive Shaft.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Hey Sucker...

You know I love your CJ just because you painted it blue, right? :happyyes:

Can't wait to see it finished! I have a lead on an old CJ that's been sitting under a tarp in this lady's barn for YEARS! Mike wants me to try and buy it from her so he has a project for his jeep shop. :eek:

:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks NorCalRubi!

I've got a couple new pics of the tub on the frame. I think I went overboard on the lift :eek:! Hopefully the 35's will fill in a lot better than those small dry rotted tires!

Maybe I need to remove those big shackles and replace with more of a stock size shackle. Guess I will wait and see what the 35's look like on it. First thing I thought when I saw these pics was Holy crap!

That is an aggressive lift indeed. Are you going to have to replace the fenders since the older style wheel well cut-outs are essentially the stock tire radius? Its going to look awesome, don't doubt it!

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Sucker...

You know I love your CJ just because you painted it blue, right? :happyyes:

Can't wait to see it finished! I have a lead on an old CJ that's been sitting under a tarp in this lady's barn for YEARS! Mike wants me to try and buy it from her so he has a project for his jeep shop. :eek:

:D
I have no need to get another Jeep, but those two words - barn and Jeep - get my blood pumping. I bought a 1970 CJ5 last year. It was in a guys barn for 6 or 7 years. I got an awesome deal on it. Finally decided I was a freaking idiot for buying it and flipped it for a few more bucks then I had in it. If I had it to do all over again I would have bought it again. Buying it and loading it on the trailer was half the fun.
Do you know anymore about the CJ? What year or model? Go get it!

That is an aggressive lift indeed. Are you going to have to replace the fenders since the older style wheel well cut-outs are essentially the stock tire radius? Its going to look awesome, don't doubt it!
Yeah, I was wanting aggressive not monster truck. It will be interesting to see how it looks once the wheels and tires get on it. I am planning on keeping the stock fenders for now. The tires will stick outside of the fenders a little, but don't think it will be super noticeable.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nice sucker punch!

A 1984 CJ is on my list of jeeps to acquire.
Thanks Archer! Gotta love the old "real Jeeps"! Nothing like driving a CJ - leaf springs, no AC, manual locks and doors. Nothing rides better either! You feel every little pebble or slight bump on the road:lmao: Speaking of the great ride - I think I may order some suspension seats...

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thinking about ordering these suspension front seats by Corbeau... As you can see in my first post the drivers side seat is busted. Why not replace both seats :banghead:

These are the Baja JP Seats. Since I am buying the new seats I decided that suspension seats would be my best bet. The reason I have narrowed my search down to these seats is:
1. Price
2. Price
3. Suspension Seat
4. Small bolsters on the sides - I don't want a seat that has big bolsters and makes it even more difficult to climb in and out of the Jeep.

Anybody have any experience with these seats?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts