Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks man! Can't wait to get this project done so I can start modding the JKU Rubi!

Edit: BTW, I love German Shepherds. Had them growing up as a kid. Got pics of yours in the Jeep? I've got Bella, blue pit bull I rescued. She loves riding in the Jeep.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks man! Can't wait to get this project done so I can start modding the JKU Rubi!

Edit: BTW, I love German Shepherds. Had them growing up as a kid. Got pics of yours in the Jeep? I've got Bella, blue pit bull I rescued. She loves riding in the Jeep.
Not yet I am still trying to recoup orate from the blow from the price of the new JKUR :jawdrop: I will not let poor Jonas in it yet LOL

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Not yet I am still trying to recoup orate from the blow from the price of the new JKUR :jawdrop: I will not let poor Jonas in it yet LOL

Haha, I know what you mean! I just throw a large thick beach towel down in the seat. I actually have started tucking the towel in under the headrest and it holds the towel in place and keeps all the dog hair off really well. Bella comes to work with me everyday and the towel works great.
I love German Shepherds but I definitely don't miss all the shedding and long hair. Other than that they are awesome dogs.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Nice Build! I responded to your reply on my build thread.

I think you have the best factory combo than any cj every came with.

Now I hope I don't offend but here are some answers to your questions along with some comments from one cj owner to another.

1.) DS Angle - You can fix this by either rewelding the spring perches on the axle tube or by buying shims and adding/changing in your spring pack. I cant remember what the right angle is for non-cv. I had to do a couple times to get right on mine and I have a cv in the rear. Tom Woods, nothing less is your answer.

2.) I do recommend a good seat. I have more of a full blown racing seat in mine with 5 point harness and you are correct it is harder to get in than because of the bolster (and metal frame in my case). I think a semi bolster would be ideal as you are already planning. But my seats are more than a decade old so I may join you on this.

3.) Lose the shackles. Put your 35" tires on it and have someone turn the wheel and watch them babies walk. I'm not sure if you have a body lift but a 1" body lift is way better than a shackle lift. I recommend shackles with greasable bolts and added strength. I have OME ones on mine. They are high but perform well.

4.) I would recommend a OME YJ lift. You have to do some slight modification but nothing major and oh me is the ride better. I went from a 4" RC to the OME and is like night and day...not to mention the flex. The rough country will ride as the name implied but sounds like you are preparing yourself for that.

5.) 35" tires are big for stock CJ stuff. Your steering was not intended for it. Also if you still retain factory rear axle shafts that needs to make your way on the list. I figure you have stock gearing. You will want to look at a lower gearing in the axles. Now I know you don't have overdrive but don't let people confuse you with the difference between undergeared and underpowered. Your 6 cyl is a fine engine.

I expect some will disagree and its your jeep so do what makes you happy. Any help I can be just let me know. I've been there. Plus I understand what its like to have 2 jeeps in the driveway, expensive. :D

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Half doors for the CJ!

Gonna go pick these half doors, without the uppers, up this week for $200! They actually look pretty close to the same color of the CJ. I am thinking I will probably plastidip them black at first to see how they look black.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice Build! I responded to your reply on my build thread.

I think you have the best factory combo than any cj every came with.

Now I hope I don't offend but here are some answers to your questions along with some comments from one cj owner to another.

1.) DS Angle - You can fix this by either rewelding the spring perches on the axle tube or by buying shims and adding/changing in your spring pack. I cant remember what the right angle is for non-cv. I had to do a couple times to get right on mine and I have a cv in the rear. Tom Woods, nothing less is your answer.

2.) I do recommend a good seat. I have more of a full blown racing seat in mine with 5 point harness and you are correct it is harder to get in than because of the bolster (and metal frame in my case). I think a semi bolster would be ideal as you are already planning. But my seats are more than a decade old so I may join you on this.

3.) Lose the shackles. Put your 35" tires on it and have someone turn the wheel and watch them babies walk. I'm not sure if you have a body lift but a 1" body lift is way better than a shackle lift. I recommend shackles with greasable bolts and added strength. I have OME ones on mine. They are high but perform well.

4.) I would recommend a OME YJ lift. You have to do some slight modification but nothing major and oh me is the ride better. I went from a 4" RC to the OME and is like night and day...not to mention the flex. The rough country will ride as the name implied but sounds like you are preparing yourself for that.

5.) 35" tires are big for stock CJ stuff. Your steering was not intended for it. Also if you still retain factory rear axle shafts that needs to make your way on the list. I figure you have stock gearing. You will want to look at a lower gearing in the axles. Now I know you don't have overdrive but don't let people confuse you with the difference between undergeared and underpowered. Your 6 cyl is a fine engine.

I expect some will disagree and its your jeep so do what makes you happy. Any help I can be just let me know. I've been there. Plus I understand what its like to have 2 jeeps in the driveway, expensive.
Thanks Dempsey, I looked thru your build and your CJ is sweet. Thanks for all the great info and help. I'm sure I will have plenty of questions, :blackeye and :rant: along the way.

My initial goals are to get this thing back together and roadworthy. Once it is all back together I plan on addressing the engine, gearing, steering, etc, etc. etc.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good find on the doors. I wish my cj could accept Yj doors.
Thanks!

You have a 76, right? Shouldn't the YJ half doors fit yours also? I thought the 76 to 86 CJ7's had the same tub? I guess I will learn something new if I am wrong.:)

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Thanks!

You have a 76, right? Shouldn't the YJ half doors fit yours also? I thought the 76 to 86 CJ7's had the same tub? I guess I will learn something new if I am wrong.:)
Yep, mine is a 76. Geometry wise cj7 and yj door openings are basically the same but the early '76 - '79? dont have strikers so my doors wont fit on yours without removing the strikers and yours will not fit on mine without adding them. I have a set of strikers if I ever thought about doing that but it aint simply just screwing them in. lol

It's easy to tell the difference. Doors with paddle style handles will fit your jeep. My doors have turn handles kinda like the old cars did in the 50's.

Glad you picked up the doors. What top you gonna run?

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yep, mine is a 76. Geometry wise cj7 and yj door openings are basically the same but the early '76 - '79? dont have strikers so my doors wont fit on yours without removing the strikers and yours will not fit on mine without adding them. I have a set of strikers if I ever thought about doing that but it aint simply just screwing them in. lol

It's easy to tell the difference. Doors with paddle style handles will fit your jeep. My doors have turn handles kinda like the old cars did in the 50's.

Glad you picked up the doors. What top you gonna run?
Oh ok, that makes sense! I knew the tubs from 76 to 86 were the same but didn't think about the door hardware differences. Thanks for the info. I always like learning new things about Jeeps.

No progress reports at this time... hopefully will have some updates after Christmas.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
wow!!! very nice. so you have enough funds to work on both the new rubi and this ? if so thats awesome.

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
wow!!! very nice. so you have enough funds to work on both the new rubi and this ? if so thats awesome.
Thanks Don! Well, the majority of my mod money is currently tied up in this project. But I have managed to get some ace sliders and a Bestop HighRock front bumper for the rubicon. Hoping to get the lift and 37's for the rubicon this spring or summer. :)

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Thanks Don! Well, the majority of my mod money is currently tied up in this project. But I have managed to get some ace sliders and a Bestop HighRock front bumper for the rubicon. Hoping to get the lift and 37's for the rubicon this spring or summer. :)
nice !!! keep it up brotha !! i look forward to seeing more progress with this and your rubi :)

Merry Christmas brotha !!

·
Commercial Member
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
nice !!! keep it up brotha !! i look forward to seeing more progress with this and your rubi :)

Merry Christmas brotha !!
Merry Christmas!

21 - 40 of 60 Posts