Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, my first mod is going to be suspension upgrade because I think it just doesn't make sense to do heavy upgrades anywhere else before beefing up the suspension. So, after upgrading the springs to 19/60 and new bolts for the track bar and lower control arms, what do y'all recommend for shocks?

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
That's the exact set up I have. The gas shocks give a much stiffer, "truck-like" ride if you will. It also eliminates braking nose dive and body roll, making turns feel under more control. There are other good shocks as well. I have heard good things about OME and the Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks are also good. The reason I didn't go with them is that I didn't want to manually have to adjust them and the remote control adjuster adds quite a bit to the cost.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Bilstein has a stellar rep as Dag says-

I use RS9000XL (adj) shocks that can be set for any condition-medium/stiff/very stiff/tow--no soft !

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
337 Posts
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you are an 80/20 daily driver/offroad, you'll probably be looking for more comfort (and I use that term loosely). If offroad performance is your thing, a stiffer gas shock is probably the ticket. Budget also factors in huge as it does with any upgrade.

FWIW, I went through this over the last week as I bought parts to lift my rig this coming weekend. I was very budget conscious and wanted something that would improve performance but be very comfortable for a daily. Wound up going with the Skyjacker Hydros which get pretty solid praise just about anywhere you look. I too am mating them with the stiffer Mopar coils like you. Looked at ProComp (bad reviews) Bilstine and the Ranchos but decided the latter two would be too stiff (in fairness, I was looking at the RS5000 non-adjustable Ranchos for budget reasons). Like Tom though, I didn't want to have to adjust them often (more of a plug and play type guy, I guess). In any case, I'd just say to pick your price point then hit the forums like you are and ask about likes and dislikes of shocks in that range. Once you've got your list you can pick based on what appeals to you more, off road performance or on road comfort.

·
Premium Member
1,408 Posts
Is it true the Hydro shocks do not react as well as the Gas charged shocks especially when the temp goes way down below freezing, above the 90s or altitude increases over 6000 feet? I am also told that Mono tube is better than Twin Tube construction.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you are an 80/20 daily driver/offroad, you'll probably be looking for more comfort (and I use that term loosely). If offroad performance is your thing, a stiffer gas shock is probably the ticket. Budget also factors in huge as it does with any upgrade.

FWIW, I went through this over the last week as I bought parts to lift my rig this coming weekend. I was very budget conscious and wanted something that would improve performance but be very comfortable for a daily. Wound up going with the Skyjacker Hydros which get pretty solid praise just about anywhere you look. I too am mating them with the stiffer Mopar coils like you. Looked at ProComp (bad reviews) Bilstine and the Ranchos but decided the latter two would be too stiff (in fairness, I was looking at the RS5000 non-adjustable Ranchos for budget reasons). Like Tom though, I didn't want to have to adjust them often (more of a plug and play type guy, I guess). In any case, I'd just say to pick your price point then hit the forums like you are and ask about likes and dislikes of shocks in that range. Once you've got your list you can pick based on what appeals to you more, off road performance or on road comfort.
yeah, I'm most likely to be roughly 75/25 - DD/trail riding. Having been a "pick up guy" for years, I do like Dag's "truck like" feel for driving though. I think his recommendation will be my first stop, if not the last.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yeah, I'm most likely to be roughly 75/25 - DD/trail riding. Having been a "pick up guy" for years, I do like Dag's "truck like" feel for driving though. I think his recommendation will be my first stop, if not the last.
He knows more than me and many others here so its hard to go wrong with his advice. If a more truck feel is the goal, his suggestion is better than mine. I wanted a more factory feel (partially so the wife likes my Jeep and therefore doesn't mine when I do mods. If my mods made her hate it, well, let's just say that might impede future money flow into said mods and nobody wants that, right?)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts