Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2002 TJ mainly for plowing. I have a lot of driveway and other snow removal options are too time consuming. Tonight I finally got a chance to get out there and try it out for the first time. There is a lot of backing up involved in snow plowing a driveway and I came to realize with the poor visibility of snowfall, the relatively pale backup lights just aren't cutting it. I need something brighter. I don't need auxiliary trail lights to make a mountain side glow. Just something 2-3+ times the output of the current reverse lights that hopefully can be wired on the same circuit so they go on-off with backing up and are road legal.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Quadratec's led tail lights have excellent backup lights... MUCH MUCH brighter than stock

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turns out there are a slew of options for replacing the bulbs with high lumen LED versions. I ordered a pair. Really cheap compared to replacing the entire tail light or mounting additional lighting.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You can do dropins but on the TJ the housing is really the problem.
Get a pair of 3" cubes and you can aim them however you want and get a good beam spread and actually see at night.
Wire in a manual switch and can use them as work lights too.
I added a bunch of LED bolts around the bottom of the bumper, can hardly see them durring the day but at night when I setup camp it lights up the whole area

·
Registered
02 TJ
1,597 Posts
I put some LED bulbs in my stock housings..while they did help over OEM, I still wanted more. So I added two cheap LED cubes onto my rear hitch and wired them into a separate switch so I can use them as work lights as well. Now I can see for days!

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
I simply put LED bulbs from Amazon in the stock housing as direct replacements for the stock bulbs. Big, but not monumental, improvement. Agree that the stock bulbs are close to useless.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I can start with these and see how they work out. If they don't meet my needs, I'll have to take a different path.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I simply put LED bulbs from Amazon in the stock housing as direct replacements for the stock bulbs. Big, but not monumental, improvement. Agree that the stock bulbs are close to useless.
I did 550 lumen LEDs from Diode Dynamics, a vendor up here. Very bright.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts