Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first jeep, an 02 tj, and I was wondering what to upgrade first. I plan to take her wheelin as often as I can. I already have some 31's and new wheels on the way.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Jeep Automotive tire

·
Registered
129 Posts
Quick disconnects for the front sway bar. Flip visors/mirror. Remove milk jugs from the ends of the bumpers.

That's where I started. Homemade discos are cheap and will help off road capabilities. Everything else is cosmetic and free.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Does anybody know how reliable a rough country 2'' spacer lift with new shocks is. The price seems almost too good to be true.
In general, the spacer lifts are cheap like that. All spacers are pretty much the same thing, but I wouldn't recommend rough country shocks. I have them and they leave a lot to be desired.

If you plan on any hard core off roading, it's not your best route for lift. If you're doing it for looks/mild wheeling it will be fine.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Wheel her as it is and you'll figure out what you'll want to do. It may be armor or lockers before a lift. Once simple and easy mod would be a 1.25" BL + 1" MML to set you up for future mods. Add in a 2" BB and you can fit bigger tires. That'd be the most I'd do until you find out what kind of trails are in the area.

I say this because of my personal experience. The first time I hit the closest ORP I thought it'd be nothing but dirt and mud. I had no idea that Rausch Creek was a dumping ground for glacial rock and armor would have been a better first mod. Every time I go up there I get new ideas for mods. Armor was first, then came lockers. Next is a tummy tuck and more armor.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
A winch and mounting plate- 550
Lock rite- 300
Rubicon express budget boost - 280 + 80 for an alignment + 20 for front bump stops
I wouldn't bother with sway bar disconnects, your off road traction is better with the stock bar on

Those are some of the top upgrades I did when I first started in on my lj.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I wouldn't bother with sway bar disconnects, your off road traction is better with the stock bar on
Man I hate to argue with someone who's been here longer, owned more jeeps, and seems more salted and experienced, but that's not how it works. Disconnected sway bar allows for flex. Flex allows you to keep tires on the ground. Tires on the ground means traction.

If you're running off road with the sway bar connected you'll be lifting tires in the air all the time and dealing with a harsher ride

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
MississippiDirtTJ said:
Man I hate to argue with someone who's been here longer, owned more jeeps, and seems more salted and experienced, but that's not how it works. Disconnected sway bar allows for flex. Flex allows you to keep tires on the ground. Tires on the ground means traction.

If you're running off road with the sway bar connected you'll be lifting tires in the air all the time and dealing with a harsher ride
Yep you are totally correct. Just went 4wheeling with my friend this weekend who has a 2012 unlimited stock. He got a wheel and even two in the air on several occasions, while my tj with discos just bent and twisted depending on the trails. Keeps the tires on the trail :thumb:

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
MississippiDirtTJ said:

That little of lift that with factory arms it will have much different limiting factors, I agree that it helps to keep all tires on the ground but if there is no pressure other than axle weight the tire will not bite. The factory bar will allow enough flex for moderate wheeling and keep more even downward pressure on the front tires. That is especially important for anything off camber and even more important with open differentials. Thats is the reason you see a lot of currie anti rock's on the trails. When I ran my budget boost I opted for quick disco's that I never disconnected and it did great. Now I run a different set up with no sway bar and some obstacles are a little more of a pita because of it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wheel her as it is and you'll figure out what you'll want to do. It may be armor or lockers before a lift. Once simple and easy mod would be a 1.25" BL + 1" MML to set you up for future mods. Add in a 2" BB and you can fit bigger tires. That'd be the most I'd do until you find out what kind of trails are in the area.

I say this because of my personal experience.
X2 Jeeps are personalized.
You will figure out what you want/need if you wheel her first. Plus your driving skills will be be better than a guy who drives it from the dealer to the 4x4 shop for 'toys'.
There are so many manufacturers of TJ parts that you'll want to see the different ones in action on the trail to see how they perform. Not to mention you can talk to the owner and see how they like it and how was the install.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
jrussblues said:
That little of lift that with factory arms it will have much different limiting factors, I agree that it helps to keep all tires on the ground but if there is no pressure other than axle weight the tire will not bite. The factory bar will allow enough flex for moderate wheeling and keep more even downward pressure on the front tires. That is especially important for anything off camber and even more important with open differentials. Thats is the reason you see a lot of currie anti rock's on the trails. When I ran my budget boost I opted for quick disco's that I never disconnected and it did great. Now I run a different set up with no sway bar and some obstacles are a little more of a pita because of it.
Rear swaybar keeps the body roll down but still has enough flex to hit your bumpstops

Front swaybar is oversized (the one on my dads conversion van is smaller) it doesnt allow any flex whatsoever. Try this, with your stock sway bar connected try and do a RTI ramp then try it again disco'd.

Thats the reason I took front swaybar completely off and it gives it a better ride

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
$50 2in budget boost
$100 1.25 body lift
$25 1in motor mount lift
$299 rugged ridge 8.5k winch
$60 winch plate
$20-$100 recovery strap
$30 d-rings
Rear recovery point

·