Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on moving up to a 40'' tire eventually, likely with a bead lock wheel. At the moment, I have been considering 2 tire carriers. The first is the ACE JK Stand Alone Tire Carrier that can be found at https://aceengineeringandfab.com/collections/jk-products/products/jk-stand-alone-tire-carrier with the available slant back option. The second is the GenRight Swing Out Tire Carrier found at https://genright.com/products/jeep-jk-swing-out-rear-tire-carrier-aluminum.html .

I have heard a couple reviews on the GenRight, but none on the ACE. If you have it, or have had experience with it, I would love some feedback and opinions on it, or the GenRight carrier as well. Something that would drive me up a wall if when driving down the road I have rattling at every bump and sway. I understand that both of these options will be overkill for what I have right now, however, I am a very big advocate for doing it right the first time, and I do not want to have to purchase more products in the future. If you have had phenomenal experiences with other tire carriers that can withstand tires that are as large and weigh as much as a 40'' tire on beadlocks, then please understand that I am open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for all of your help :)

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
You must be very fit to lift a 40” beadlock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, its about 150lbs for the tires and beadlocks put together, however that is not necessarily a concern. I am already pretty strong and fit, and by the time that I put everything I want to on my Jeep, I have no doubt that lifting the tire up in the air will be less of a struggle compared to actually getting it high enough. I'm only 5'5'' after all, and that won't be changing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a different ACE (supported by the bumper) but love that GenRight style-wise.... double the price though.
Not to mention, it has the pins that are parts to lose and are simply an extra step to getting into the cargo area, which isn't a problem, but it is less convenient and not ideal, especially considering the $$

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have the Genright carrier, but in steel not aluminum. Otherwise the same thing. I’m running a beadlock 37” wheel on it, not a 40”. It is solid and does not rattle at all.

I’m 6’1” and lifting the tire up onto the carrier is a chore but not impossible. On the Genright the mount is flipped for a 40” wheel and is therefore a couple of inches higher. That plus the extra weight of the wheel would make it even harder to lift the wheel up. But probably a 40” on any carrier would be the same challenge.

Getting into the back of the Jeep is more complicated and more of a hassle than if I had a swing out carrier that’s tied to the rear gate. It’s ok for me because my Jeep is not a daily driver and my wife doesn’t drive it. If either were different, I would likely have gone with a different choice. Keep in mind, you do need to drill into the body to mount the driver side plate.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Do yourself a favor and use a block and tackle in your garage to lift the 40in tire onto the carrier. Lifting may not be a problem for you, but aligning the holes when you can't see them is hard. You can always take the B&T with you on the trail and use it on a tree branch if you need to and don't have a friend to help.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The best is an Evolution body mount carrier. It's expensive and a pain to install. Even the instructions say, "If it was easy, everyone would have one". It is bulletproof through. I ran it for years, but I found myself going into the back of the Jeep way too often to mess with pulling pins and moving the carrier every time, plus it was hitting my camper when turning hard. So now that I'm back on 35" tires, I switched to Evo's hinged tire carrier and it's so much easier to live with. However it only holds a 37. The body mount I think is good for a 42...

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
I would advise to delete the rear tire carrier all together and have on board air and a plug kit. If you are doing extreme stuff, throw the spare in the rear. Otherwise why carry around at the extra 200 pounds and have 15" of stuff hanging off the rear that you could easily back into a tree in a tight spot?

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I'm a BMF at 6'5" and 280#'s, and there's no way my ass could lift a 40 up and get it lined up with the studs.
I wanna keep my nads in the sac :drinks:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I would advise to delete the rear tire carrier all together and have on board air and a plug kit. If you are doing extreme stuff, throw the spare in the rear. Otherwise why carry around at the extra 200 pounds and have 15" of stuff hanging off the rear that you could easily back into a tree in a tight spot?
I carry a plug kit and onboard air. I also won't off-road with anyone who doesn't carry a spare. The 2 off-road clubs I'm a member of require a spare to go on a ride. Too many things can go wrong that a patch can't fix.

As for lifting a 40- who said anything about doing it solo? Off-road buddies can help lift it up.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Never mind, wasted answer.
Please delete

·
Super Moderator
15,498 Posts
Can't help you with the 2 you asked about, but I used a Teraflex when I ran a 37" and kept it when I went 40s. It works just fine.

I only run a spare when I wheel, I keep a plug kit and air for around town.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts