Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New here. I'm looking at 2012 unlimited. Lifted with 35's super clean. It had the head replaced about 800 miles ago. I am new to the jeep world but this thing is sweet. It's got 29k miles on it. Is the head issue anything to worry about? What kind of mileage can I expect? Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are thousands of wranglers out there, why roll the dice on one that has had major engine work done in the first 30k miles? Go for a CPO one with some warranty left. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If the head was replaced by the dealer, you're probably fine. This was a common issue on the earlier 3.6 and seems to be adequately fixed. Check the gear ratio, with 35s it may seem sluggish if it has 3.21 or even 3.73s. I would pull up the carpets and look for any evidence of a bad leak. Check the underside for evidence of extreme off road use or abuse.

Mileage will depend on the gears.

Do a search for how to find out the engine hours and compare the hours to the miles to get some insight into how the Jeep was used.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Chrysler provided an extended 10yr/150K mile warranty on most Pentastars with the head problem. Check that this JK has it and that it is transferable.

Also, check the gear ratio because it's about 2 grand with labor to swap gears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts