Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to purchase a tool set.

I was thinking about this or something similar. Any thoughts? I need a set that I can do most of the work on my 94 with, with the exception of a breaker bar, torque wrenches, torx wrenches and standard wrenches.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Not a bad place to start.

Do you have any stores near you that carry craftsman? I started off by buying wrench and socket sets that were on sale. I did the same with snap on, mac, and vulcan. Just bought used and repo tools. Better pawn shops will have used sets of the good stuff usually half price from new.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm probably just going to go to the car shops/sears and find individual ratchets /extensions and sockets, and just piece something together. I feel like that will be more cost effective in the long run.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I am with dred, over the years I have bought tons of cheap "shop force" tools and they end up broke or lost. Bought a nice craftsman set 4 years ago and have only lost one socket, pretty sure it's in my engine compartment somewhere. As a carpenter I have learned over the years It doesn't pay to buy cheap tools

·
Registered
699 Posts
So far, the only tool I HAVEN"T used on my Jeep is a level - just haven't found a good need for it yet?:tomatoes::happyyes:

(Good tools will last - cheap tools you don't feel bad about breaking them ... your choice)

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
i try to buy the best tools i can afford.. ive used craftsman forever and never had a problem.. there electrical tools suck i buy klein for that.. for pliers i get channel lock or vice grip.. buy every damn vise grip you can find you will use it sooner or later.. i would scour ebay or craigslist for a good table vice.. you dont understand how handy a vise is.. buy a set of craftsman nutdrivers they come in handy all mine have teeth marks in them from channel locks.. a 3 pound sledge is also good to have

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I too like Craftsman and have a full set at home, but in my jeep I have a full bag of cheap Harbor Freight tools. They have held up really well and I don't worry about having them stolen or losing them out on the trail.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'd recommend deep impact sockets. I've broken a couple of crescent wrenches on some rusty bolts, and impact sockets are stronger. Also, it's rare for what I've done so far that a deep socket won't fit. You can always go get a single short socket for a particular job.

Also, in my humble opinion, a nice, long high-quality 3/8" ratchet is a fantastic thing to have. You will be using it so often, you will thank yourself for spending a couple extra dollars on it.

Finally, my approach to torx sockets has been to evaluate what is needed for any particular job, and then go get those sizes at the local parts store prior to each job. Typically, the cost is less than 20 dollars per job.

Over time, you will need to make less "tool trips" and your box will become customized to repairing Jeeps!

Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
348 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LKLHFU6/ref=pd_aw_sbs_hi_4?refRID=1Q7X6ZDSENBV5D06FFM5

I would look for a wider range of tools. Standard and metrics.

Edit: also doubles of a lot of tools are good to have. Also quality is better. If you are needing cheaper look at places like ACE hardware, they have ACE pro brand tools that are just rebranded craftsman and gearwrench tools, and the ACE brand has life time warranty just like craftsman or gearwrench. If you watch their sales they will have a set of 4 ratchet wrenches (gearwrench) for like $10-$15 they just have ACE stamped next to the gearwrench name

·
Registered
716 Posts
Like sudsytimmy said, spend the money on a good 3/8" drive ratchet. It's your most commonly-used tool by far, so spend the money for a Snap-on Dual 80 ratchet. You won't regret it. Get your Torx sockets from the tool truck as well. For everything else, Craftsman is fine. Their wrenches are shorter than the premium brands so there's less leverage, and the open-end anti-slip features like Snap-on's Flank Drive Plus won't be there, but they're good wrenches just the same. Their sockets are great, the same goes for screwdrivers other than not having the fat ergonomic handles. About half my 3/4" drive set at work is Craftsman, including the ratchet, and I don't baby them.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Here are a couple of tools that I've found especially helpful for use in tight spaces:

Mountain (or EZ Red) - pivoting head, ratcheting, and long for good leverage. Unfortunately, they are somewhat expensive, and you'll want both metric and standard sets.

Metric:
Mountain (MTNRM6) 5 Piece Metric Double Box Universal Spline Reversible Ratcheting Wrench Set - Box End Wrenches - Amazon.com

Standard:
Mountain ex-pffgbxz-4pc 4 Piece Sae Double Box Universal Spline Ratcheting Wrench Set - Box End Wrenches - Amazon.com

Flex Head Ratchet:
It's longer for more leverage, and the pivoting head helps with access. Available from several places - Craftsman, Gearwrench, etc

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-81219-Teardrop-Release-Ratchet/dp/B001M0O1AM
Sears.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
GO OUT AND GET YOURSELF AN AIR IMPACT AND A GOOD COMPRESSOR. Anything under the car is almost guaranteed to be rusty, I had to replace the shocks one night and with an impact the whole job would've taken me 45mins- 1 hr for all four shocks, with an impact. But doing it by hand it took me over 5 hrs. I went out and bought a nice impact set the next day. I have loved it ever since

·
Registered
716 Posts
GO OUT AND GET YOURSELF AN AIR IMPACT AND A GOOD COMPRESSOR. Anything under the car is almost guaranteed to be rusty, I had to replace the shocks one night and with an impact the whole job would've taken me 45mins- 1 hr for all four shocks, with an impact. But doing it by hand it took me over 5 hrs. I went out and bought a nice impact set the next day. I have loved it ever since
Even better, fork over the cash for one of these. You can bring it on the trail with you, and it has a LOT of power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even better, fork over the cash for one of these. You can bring it on the trail with you, and it has a LOT of power.
I would love to have one of those but that is nearly as expensive at the lift I am about to buy.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Here is the set I started with and still use all the time now Sears.com I started with that and slowly gathered more specialty things. Larger wrenches, breaker bar, good torx bits are a must as well.

This set we have at my work and its a great set. Has pretty much everything you would need Sears.com

·
Registered
169 Posts
I find I really like the wrenches that are ratchet type. Probably not as strong on rusty bolts but handy for lighter jobs.
I've been buying cheap tools since I was a kid. Still have them and they do a pretty good job. Glad I started young. wish I could afford snapon or craftsman though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got a Stanley Mechanics Set from Walmart. I've always liked Stanley tools, and the full lifetime warranty is a plus. I mean, for what I use them for, the quality is great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts