Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just need a list of things to do to my jeep to best suit it for off-roading. Including lifts, gear changes, tire changes, etc. I just have a 2000 TJ 2.5L, bone stock. Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Best-suited?

Man, this question comes up ad nauseum.

Answer: drive it stock. Learn it. What are you gonna do with a heavily modded Jeep that you don't know how to do with a stock Jeep? It won't allow you to handle off-roading better.

Learn your stock Jeep. Find out what it'll do, and what it won't.

Mod from there.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I say look on here and learn :). Before I got my lift and tires I did more than 2 years researching and asking a crap ton questions. Like kbwwolf said and what everyone else will say, it depends on how much off roading you want to do. Mine is my DD but also an every weekend trail rig therefore I modified it to how much I off road and the trails I run. Budget so comes into factor as some people's don't have the funds to do a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess your list of needs would depend on what sort of off-roading you plan to do. Stock jeeps handle a majority of roads just fine. Are you looking to rock crawl? Sand dunes? Mudding? Jeep trails? How seriously? Is this ride a daily driver that needs to go on the interstate? If so, 2.5L will be a turtle pushing too large tires. Large tires require lift, steering & suspension upgrades, gear mods, axle upgrades and even brake upgrades.

It wouldnt hurt to test drive some modified jeeps to see what you like or dislike about their setup and handling. Then apply it to your personnel needs on the trail.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I've had people who want to also test ride in a modified jeep to see how it handles when they looked for different brands of suspension lifts. Another option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts