Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This summer my wife wants to do a lot of driving in her jeep with the hard top off. She found the bestop summer combo kit ... Bikini top, windjammer, and the duster. My question is since it's a 2014 factory hardtop. What do I need to be looking for when deciding on a combo. We have the cab cover and stuff but she says it's necessary in case she is driving and it starts raining

·
Registered
571 Posts
Get the cable version and it will fit your 2014 if you have the door surrounds, if not you got to get the non cable version.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You will need the tailgate bar if the kit doesn't come with it.

Also, I'd recommend getting the cable style bikini.. They're supposed to fit tighter with less flapping.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The last jeep was a soft top, so just curious since I'm not looking at the jeep. With it being a hardtop it doesn't have the door surrounds correct?

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have had both cable version with door surrounds and the non cable version without door surrounds and I can tell you the cable version is by far the best summer top.
The non cable without door surrounds uses Velcro to attach to roll bars and is a tight fit but leaves a 2 in gap between the door and roll bar. Take the doors off and it looks better. Don't forget he header for 2014 as the old header is crap with thumb screws and tailgate bar.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had both cable version with door surrounds and the non cable version without door surrounds and I can tell you the cable version is by far the best summer top. The non cable without door surrounds uses Velcro to attach to roll bars and is a tight fit but leaves a 2 in gap between the door and roll bar. Take the doors off and it looks better. Don't forget he header for 2014 as the old header is crap with thumb screws and tailgate bar.
What do you mean by header?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Looks like I may be better off just going with a frameless style top?
I looked at the same combo you mentioned for my wife's JKU. I ended up spending a few hundred more and getting the Bestop Trektop NX. I also bought a $65 toneau cover from Quadratec. With the Trek top you can:

1. Have a fully functional and completely water proof soft top WITH surrounds and a front header that latches like the hard top.

2. The sunrider sunroof option.

3. Take the rear window and side windows out and you have a really tight fitting bimini top that has door surrounds (included) and not a Velcro attachment

4. Add the (separately purchased) Quadratec brand toneau cover and you basically have the combo you looked at, but with better material and door surrounds.

5. The windjammer is pretty much worthless on a JKU as it leaves big gaps on either side that will allow rain in if it's parked and probably still will allow rain in if it's moving.

For the extra money, IMO it's well worth it for the quality, convenience and different configurations you get while still having a bonafide soft top in the end.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked at the same combo you mentioned for my wife's JKU. I ended up spending a few hundred more and getting the Bestop Trektop NX. I also bought a $65 toneau cover from Quadratec. With the Trek top you can: 1. Have a fully functional and completely water proof soft top WITH surrounds and a front header that latches like the hard top. 2. The sunrider sunroof option. 3. Take the rear window and side windows out and you have a really tight fitting bimini top that has door surrounds (included) and not a Velcro attachment 4. Add the (separately purchased) Quadratec brand toneau cover and you basically have the combo you looked at, but with better material and door surrounds. 5. The windjammer is pretty much worthless on a JKU as it leaves big gaps on either side that will allow rain in if it's parked and probably still will allow rain in if it's moving. For the extra money, IMO it's well worth it for the quality, convenience and different configurations you get while still having a bonafide soft top in the end.
The only thing I'm worried about is the time it takes to remove And put on the top. She likes it completely topless but when we go to the beach house or fish camp she wants the extra protection in case we run thru a storm

·
Registered
400 Posts
Once you get it installed, it's nothing to pull the whole thing off. My wife works shift work, and really can't leave her vehicle in a parking lot for 12 hours at a time on her days on unless it's fully buttoned up. On her off days, we take off the windows and throw on the tonneau cover. Pull 2 pins and unhook 2 straps and the whole top comes off. Super easy and can be done in 20 minutes max from naked to fully installed. That's by myself.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I looked at the same combo you mentioned for my wife's JKU. I ended up spending a few hundred more and getting the Bestop Trektop NX. I also bought a $65 toneau cover from Quadratec. With the Trek top you can:

For the extra money, IMO it's well worth it for the quality, convenience and different configurations you get while still having a bonafide soft top in the end.

This is what I did. I priced out the cable bikini top, door surrounds, tailgate bar, toneau cover and was getting close to the price of a trektop nx. I ended up going with that and I love all the configurations you can do. Most of time I just had the bikini portion on and the toneau cover but its nice to be able to zip the windows on if its going to rain.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once you get it installed, it's nothing to pull the whole thing off. My wife works shift work, and really can't leave her vehicle in a parking lot for 12 hours at a time on her days on unless it's fully buttoned up. On her off days, we take off the windows and throw on the tonneau cover. Pull 2 pins and unhook 2 straps and the whole top comes off. Super easy and can be done in 20 minutes max from naked to fully installed. That's by myself.
Oh okay I thought I read somewhere it took like an hour to put on and an hour to take off. Basically when were out of town we would run it fully on on the way there and take it completely off during the day and put it fully back on at night. Would it be possible to use it that way?

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's what we do. We'll leave it stripped down all weekend, then Sunday afternoon put everything back on. Like I said, about 20 minutes. The only hardware that is mounted is a few brackets (small) that you mount under the roll bar cover in existing holes. You have to make a small incision in the cover (about an inch) for the bracket to go through. Don't waste your time with the instructions it comes with. Watch the official Youtube video, then use the instructions for reference. It makes way more sense. Seriously, it's a good user friendly set up. And like I said, you get a bonified soft top out of it that can do all the other stuff as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's what we do. We'll leave it stripped down all weekend, then Sunday afternoon put everything back on. Like I said, about 20 minutes. The only hardware that is mounted is a few brackets (small) that you mount under the roll bar cover in existing holes. You have to make a small incision in the cover (about an inch) for the bracket to go through. Don't waste your time with the instructions it comes with. Watch the official Youtube video, then use the instructions for reference. It makes way more sense. Seriously, it's a good user friendly set up. And like I said, you get a bonified soft top out of it that can do all the other stuff as well.
^^^^What he said!!

I just installed a trek top nx on my 2014 unlimited. The pictorial instructions that come with the top are less than helpful. The video gives several good tips and is slightly different than the instructions (as far as the order of some of the steps).

Do the trek top! It is complete and very good quality. It provides many different options and is a breeze to change between them. The sunrider option is great. I use it after my shift, just two quick releases and flip it back and you're open topped (but still covered up during work hours). Zip the quarter and rear windows off on your days off and you have a full safari bikini top (that you can still open the sunrider if you prefer). If you want topless that can be achieved in about 10 minutes without tools. Only the initial install requires tools. That will take you maybe 2 hours max the first time you install it. One word of warning, follow the video's advice when zipping up the rear windows the first time, this top is very tight.

I am very happy with mine and think this might just be what you're looking for also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts