Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be coming back to Colorado in August. Is it too early too plan an outing with some of you? I'm planing on wheeling at least 3 days between Aug. 4th thru the 7th and maybe once the 9th or 10th. I would like to run Deer Creek/Sts John one day. North and Middle Fork of the Swan River another day. And I'm up for sugestions on the other days. Last year I wasn't able to meet any of you, I hope we can do it this year. I will be staying in Silverthorne.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If you haven't done them before, you might want to consider taking Mosquito Pass over to Leadville for lunch one day, and of course one of my favorite trails-Wheeler Lake.
It is too early to plan for me, but it's likely I'll join you for some trails while you are out here.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Dave, mosquito pass is a possibility. Wheeler Lake, I think, would be more difficult than I was looking for. Remember I'm from Louisiana. I'd like to go with some experienced people. I'm looking for trails with some altitude and scenery and my wife wants to see some goats. LOL.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yea Dave, mosquito pass is a possibility. Wheeler Lake, I think, would be more difficult than I was looking for. Remember I'm from Louisiana. I'd like to go with some experienced people. I'm looking for trails with some altitude and scenery and my wife wants to see some goats. LOL.
If you want to see mountain goats run Radical Hill.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
MB, You probably already know that you'll probably see mountain goats in the Deer Creek, North Fork/Middle Fork area, particularly if you venture to the top of Radical Hill as C6 pointed out. In the summer there are usually several herds in that area. Mosquito Pass is an easy trail, suitable for a stock high clearance SUV, but is very scenic and reaches 13,185 ft in elevation. We always go into Leadville and walk around the historic downtown strip and have lunch at the Tennessee Pass Cafe and then come back over the pass from the other side. It's a fun, easy and scenic trip that takes you past a lot of mining ruins and even some active mines. The views from the top are spectacular.
While you are out here, we should definitely take you up to Wheeler lake, even if you and your wife only want to ride along. Your Jeep could make it without damage, but I know how you feel, as the first time I did that trail in my XJ, I rode along with someone else for the last stretch up to the lake just to see how bad the trail was. (Back then it was much more difficult, but several years ago the forest service blasted out the most difficult obstacle right before the lake.) The reason to go, is because IMHO it is one of the prettiest destinations in Colorado. There are mining ruins including an old mill that you can walk through, very cool water falls, beautiful lakes nestled into the continental divide, and a good short but steep hiking trail to the upper lakes that follow a creek with several waterfalls. There is also good fishing at Wheeler Lake. It's one of my wife's favorite places to have a picnic and I'm sure your wife will like it too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. I hope we can get together for a run or two. My tentative schedule as of now is:
Monday Aug 4 --- Deer Creek/Sts John
Tuesday Aug 5 --- ?
Wednesday Aug 6 --- Swan River
Thursday Aug 7 --- ?
Friday Aug 8 --- no trail
Saturday Aug 9 --- Mosquito Pass/Leadville lunch

You are very convincing on Wheeler Lake. I'm game, but I don't know about my wife LOL.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Yeah I have so much planned before August my heads ready to explode lol. I'm sure quite a few will be interested.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last year, I think, I waited too late to post and I didn't get with anybody. So I just want y'all to mark on your calendars. I will post again in July.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Marking my calendar. In Summit county for the weekend right now. All the peaks are still loaded with snow.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
5 weeks

and counting. Deer Creek and Sts John look like their out. I'm looking at doing Swan River instead.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
and counting. Deer Creek and Sts John look like their out. I'm looking at doing Swan River instead.
You can do Swan River along with Deer Creek and Sts.John all in one trip. The road into Montezuma from Keystone is closed, but you should still be able to access the area through the North Fork and Middle Fork trails (and also from Webster Pass/Red Cone).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, you could hit the North Fork of the Swan from Breckenridge via Tiger Road and once your up top you could do Saints John/Deer Creek and back down the middle fork. That would be a long day though...
The road to Montezuma being out does put a crimp in things doesn't it?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I'm interested in this week with you guys...I'll be in Ouray August 1-4 though but I'll be on a nice 28 day vacation so if nothing else is pressing I should be there. Especially Wheeler Lake.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My plans so far are Monday Aug 4 - Swan River. Tuesday thru Friday are up for grabs. And Saturday Aug 9 -Mosquito Pass. I would really like to be with some experienced people on these two trails.

We plan on driving up Mount Evans during the week. And maybe hiking up Grays peak.

I will do 2 other days of trail riding between Tuesday and Friday. But they will probably be short easy drives, like Keystone Gulch and Peak 10 or something like that.

Wheeler Lake may be a little too difficult for us to do. My Jeep would probably make it, but my son will be in a Land Rover LR2.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can do Swan River along with Deer Creek and Sts.John all in one trip. The road into Montezuma from Keystone is closed, but you should still be able to access the area through the North Fork and Middle Fork trails (and also from Webster Pass/Red Cone).
My goal is to reach the top where all the trails meet, so running just the Swan River trails will be good.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
My goal is to reach the top where all the trails meet, so running just the Swan River trails will be good.
You may have to drive around at the top a bit to find one of the goat herds but they are almost always up there somewhere.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts