Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found here on Amazon

To call these Headlights “plug and play” isn’t really fair. Yes, all the components work together but in my case it still took a little rigging.
1. The adapter that plugs into the Jeeps harness is not a direct fit. No amount of pressure would get it to snap in place. I ended up using a zip tie to hold it in place (as pictured) and that seems to work alright.
2. The connection between the adapter and the Canbus and the Canbus to the headlight all leave little gaps where you can see exposed metal. This was resolved by a little electrical tape.
3. Fitting. The headlights are snug. Real snug. In fact, I almost thought they wouldn't fit. Just keep fiddling and they will eventually fall into place however in my case I had to step away before I lost my cool following the previous wiring details.
4. Finish. Once the lights are on, you can see a lot of little imperfections in the light (pictured).
Overall consensus
Despite all the flaws listed above, you really can’t argue with the price. The headlights look great and work as advertised. The beam is narrow and bright, really bright, and as I was going on a test dive it hit me; Jeep purposefully put in dim headlights knowing that we are going to lift our rigs. No amount of adjustment I make gets the light out of driver’s eyes. I finally ended up pointing them down considerably as I finally reached a breaking point from getting flashed by other drivers. Finding the sweet spot may take some time but be aware; these are ridiculously bright and will blind oncoming traffic if not properly adjusted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought Sunpie LED headlights a week or so ago (different style, see link)...I had the same exact fitment issues that you described, and addressed the same way you addressed. The only issue I'm still having is slight flickering when the engine is on. I just purchased anti-flickering harness from Truck-Lite and am hoping that they resolve the flickering issue...will install soon...been working on installing my lift the last couple of days and need my knuckles to finish scabbing over before I embark on much more than taking the Jeep to the car wash.

HEADLIGHTS
Amazon.com: 2x 7" 75W LED Headlights bulb for Jeep Wrangler JK CJ LJ Hummer H1 H2 LED Projector Driving Lamps DRL: Automotive

ANTI-FLICKERING MODULE
Amazon.com: Truck-Lite 98630 LED Headlamp Anti-Flicker Module Harness - PWM Pule Width Modulation Adapter: Automotive

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just bought Sunpie LED headlights a week or so ago (different style, see link)...I had the same exact fitment issues that you described, and addressed the same way you addressed. The only issue I'm still having is slight flickering when the engine is on. I just purchased anti-flickering harness from Truck-Lite and am hoping that they resolve the flickering issue...will install soon...been working on installing my lift the last couple of days and need my knuckles to finish scabbing over before I embark on much more than taking the Jeep to the car wash.

HEADLIGHTS
Amazon.com: 2x 7" 75W LED Headlights bulb for Jeep Wrangler JK CJ LJ Hummer H1 H2 LED Projector Driving Lamps DRL: Automotive

ANTI-FLICKERING MODULE
Amazon.com: Truck-Lite 98630 LED Headlamp Anti-Flicker Module Harness - PWM Pule Width Modulation Adapter: Automotive

After reading your post I ended up buying the exact same harness. I couldn't be happier with this overall purchase.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had any problem with my sunpie's other than a tad amount of flicker on occasion. My problem was with the harness on my Jeep. The red tab and area around it broke so it doesn't stay seated. I've wrapped and zip tied it for now and it works well for a bit. I have been meaning to order a replacement and just haven't yet.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
See that little tab I am pointing to with the pen? Trim that back a little with a razor blade. That should fix the problem with it not snapping in.

plug.jpg

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you still enjoying the SunPies? Curious about getting them myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its been about 9 months now and the lights are still running bright. no flicker or loss of brightness.

I would definitely buy again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I found these lights to be pretty low quality, especially the harness. Had to send first back because high beams stopped working. Then had similar issues got fed up and bought JW speakers. Very glad I did. I would not recommend sunpie

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
366 Posts
I found these lights to be pretty low quality, especially the harness. Had to send first back because high beams stopped working. Then had similar issues got fed up and bought JW speakers. Very glad I did. I would not recommend sunpie

I see so many mixed reviews on these. Seems to be either love-hate, no happy in between. Where did you end up getting your JWs?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I see so many mixed reviews on these. Seems to be either love-hate, no happy in between. Where did you end up getting your JWs?

Northridge 4x4. They had them on sale about 6 months back for about 470. Love them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Recently installed my Sunpie lights and so far I'm happy with the results but I did buy some truck-lite harnesses to eliminate the high beam flickering

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'd be curious to see. I saw they're on sale 5% off on Amazon if you get the LED fogs. So I'm really debating, as long as they're plug and play.

This was the deal that got me. The fogs were a breeze but I do recommend the truck-light anti flicker harness as the ones that are supplied gave me a lot of trouble.

As far as the build quality is concerned. I have never had my hands on a name brand unit but I can say that the build quality felt better than the stock and were heavier than I expected.

You said it best, it seems to be hit or miss but I can say I'm satisfied. the difference was literally night and day from stock. May be worth trying and returning if your not happy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I bought the black daymaker headlight/foglight combo off of Amazon a month or so ago. They have been working great. The light is much better than stock. My install had the not so great connector connections and poor fit in the stock headlight mounts. I used dielectric grease, electrical tape, and razor trimming of locking tabs for the connectors. For the headlight "bucket" fit issue, my passenger light would not seat the three tabs ont he light into the plastic housing. I used my dremel with a sanding barrel and ground down the aluminum tabs on the headlight until it fit snug. After installing the lights I had to adjust the buckets almost all the way down to get the 3' cut off on a garage door 25' away. They do work great though.

Tonight I drove around in some wet clumpy snow, and the headlights got covered in about five miles. I had to stop and wipe them off to see. It rarely snows where I live, so that's ok.

Here's a dashcam video of my drive tonight. The contrast resolution isn't as good as the human eye, but you can see the cutoff. I flip on the high beams during the hard right turn.

https://youtu.be/tMJg-agfDpM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts