Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Sunrider or Top Down

• Sunrider

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Top Down

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Softop fully removed

Votes: 4 17.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So its summer and I have been wondering what most of the forum does with their soft tops. Driving around I mostly see people just flipping back the sunrider. I always just put the top all the way down if I do anything. Curious what others prefer?

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
494 Posts
If there’s no rain forecast & over 60 degrease my top is down. Good chance my doors are off as well. Once the warmth of spring arrives my rear window comes out unless I know we will get some rain. Sun rider to & from work is always nice option. I’m a soft top only jeeper, I’ve not removed it completely as my weather changes too much

·
Registered
922 Posts
The only time my sunrider gets flipped back is if my wife drives my Jeep as she doesn’t want to take the time to put the full top down. If I am in the Jeep, the top is down unless it is cold or is raining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Depends on the forecast.... If clear for days, may take top down. IF not I sunride it on a whim, cuz it takes 1 minute to open/close. Love it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I keep the top wrapped up in a Smittybuilt boot if I'm out and about if I get caught with some rain but normally top and doorless as much as I can.
I also use a Rampage cab cover for over nights with door flaps, its an upgrade from a tarp and some bungees.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Summer is the time we hibernate in the AC so in southern Arizona the top goes up in the summer but down for the rest of the year.

·
Premium Member
1,937 Posts
I go back and forth between all these. My 10A is in the garage so top and doors off are never an issue overnight. I keep them on for rides to the beach. But will remove all if the forecast is right. Just store them in the extra room.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If there’s no rain forecast & over 60 degrease my top is down. Good chance my doors are off as well. Once the warmth of spring arrives my rear window comes out unless I know we will get some rain. Sun rider to & from work is always nice option. I’m a soft top only jeeper, I’ve not removed it completely as my weather changes too much
I am 65 degrees and over for the top down. I used to remove my top completely on my JK. It was only an extra step of removing four bolts and wrapping the arms together. I havent tried it on my JKU yet. For some reason the JKU top folds up better than the JK's. I felt like I had a parachute behind me in the JK.

·
Registered
‘17 JKU Big Bear
494 Posts
Lol. Sort of feel like I have a parachute behind me in my ‘17 jku. Partly because my top sits on top of my tuffy security deck but I felt that way before I bought the deck. It’s all works fine tho. Really like added secure storage so I won’t change anything. I had a ‘15 jk previously, that top fell nicely into the rear cargo area

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Neither. Safari top (long bikini top that covers the rear seats too) and no windows/doors.

Perfect combo, I run like that from April-Oct.

Safari top keeps the sun off us and any stray rainstorms, yet it's almost 100% of the open air feeling of having no top and no doors.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Trektop NX can't fold down and is a royal pain to remove completely, so the sunrider is my only option. My sunrider is super easy and truly one-handed at a stop light (material even folds itself into a W) and my windows are awesome, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought a full mopar premium softtop in new condition for my 2015 JKU. Its been sitting in my garage for a couple months. This discussion has motivated me to finally take off my hardtop and install the softtop. Hardest part is getting someone tall to help me. The wife is too short. The other challenge is storing the HT. I have a feeling once I switch tops, the hardtop is gonna be in storage for a while, I like the look of the full softtop. Oh, I will mostry run the top all the way down.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Doors off and windows out, but top still on. With the trunk enclosure, can't put the top all the way back. With thinning hair, don't risk sunburn.. When in the woods, flip the front section back.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Depends on the weather. If storms are in the forecast, for example, it's nice to drive to work in Sunrider mode and flip the top shut to be on the safe side during the workday.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts