Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone could give me advice on finding a part for my soft top. I have a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. The part I broke is pointed to by #36 in the attached parts diagram (5th picture), and is called the Pivot Knuckle.

When I contacted Mopar they told me I needed Part # 68003653AB and 68003652AB which I ordered from my local Jeep dealership. The first picture is what I received from the dealership. I had found the same part at an online Mopar retailer, however the website said that part was for model year 2007 - 2010. The Jeep dealership told me their system said the part was good for all Unlimited models, 2007 - 2015. This is obviously not the case, since my 2012 pivot knuckle was different.

In the 2nd picture you can see, on the bottom right portion of the picture, where the knuckle broke off of my piece. The two holes in the piece are where two Phillips head screws attach this piece to the metal bow arm. Picture 3 and 4 are also of my part I'm looking to replace. The part I received from the Jeep dealership (picture 1) is very similar, it has the same size knuckle and the square bracket that slides along the top of the door frame, however it has plastic extensions coming off of both sides, mine does not, that looks like they attach to the bow arm. Also, on the part I received from the dealership, the knuckle and the extensions off the knuckle is one piece of plastic, so there is no way to attach it to my bow arm.

Any advice, help, or suggestions the Forum could offer would be greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!
Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
The difference might be due to the fact that a Premium Sunrider top was introduced in your model year, so there are two options. The easy way to distinguish them is the number of plies in the fabric:3 vs 1. It is also spring assisted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need the same pivot knuckle that you have. I'm running into the same problem when looking for the replacement part. Did you ever find the part number for the correct pivot knuckle? If so, what is it? Really annoying as I've searched everywhere but I can only find the part you got but as you said it's obviousl not right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sunrider soft top pivot knuckle

Did you ever find the pivot knuckle you were looking for? I need one as well and might as well buy a set just to be safe.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Try calling Bestop...they have great customer service and make the Mopar tops. I bet the Bestop version uses the same parts too.

·
Banned
220 Posts
I would check your model year on eBay for the complete top before you panic for replacement (broken) parts. I,ve seen complete tops going very, very low, Probably as much as u would pay for (broken) parts.. Check Craig's list also......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks like I've broken teh same piece and i'm running into the same challenges, did you guys find where to buy this part? thanks

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need the exact same part. I have a 2012 Unlimited Sport. I ordered the same part as KevKav1 from Morris 4x4. I had to return the part and talked to thier parts dept. They could not find a different part number then the one shown above by KevKav1. Based on the number of replies to this post, It seems like a fairly common part.

Any information for finding this part would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so after a week of very frustrated seeking and searching here is what i found out. the part we are looking for is NOT sold separately by any dealer, part manufacturer, website etc. the only way to purchase this part (as ridiculous as this sounds) is to buy the sidebow kit for the sunrider top for our models, sold for $210 at a dealership or $170 from a site like quadratec w mopar parts. this kit comes w both passenger and driver side bows (metal bars front to back that have these parts we are all seeking are attached to them). seemed to me to be outrageously expensive and wasteful to buy that much stuff to replace one single plastic part that probably costs $.10 to manufacture. i then called bestop customer service directly for further assistance. the first guy i spoke to had no idea what i was talking about. i explained in very clear detail the same frustrations we had all encountered, asking for this part and being sent another part. he asked me to send pics to [email protected]. i sent the pic w a very detailed email and i gave it 2 days then called again to follow up. this time i got a different guy on the phone. he found my email in the customer service inbox and then figured out exactly what i was talking about. after a very pleasant convo he offered to send me just the passenger side side bow (the side i broke) and clarified that if i had no problem taking the broken knuckle of my current top, i could do the same w the new part and use that to replace my broken one and keep or discard the side bow (metal bar) that i did not need. i was preparing to have to give him a credit card or some form of payment for the part and/or shipping. he told me not to worry, the part and shipping were both on them. he then went on to explain how bestop has a lot of frustrating dealings w jeep and how they handle situations like this w broken and replacement parts, and that as a fellow wrangler owner he feels obligated to help people like me (us) out as best he can. we spoke friday (the 12th) afternoon, i received the part yesterday (the 17th) and replaced it today in about 5 mins.

TL;DR version- call bestop customer service, send pics (your own or the one from this thread) to their customer service email address. follow up, be nice, be patient, and you will most likely get the part sent to you for free in a couple days.

hopefully this helps everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just started a new thread earlier this am looking for the same part, then I found your thread. Thanks for posting your investigative work. Sucks that we all have the same problem and jeep is nowhere to assist. I'll call bestop today.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Try calling Bestop...they have great customer service and make the Mopar tops. I bet the Bestop version uses the same parts too.
TL;DR version- call bestop customer service, send pics (your own or the one from this thread) to their customer service email address. follow up, be nice, be patient, and you will most likely get the part sent to you for free in a couple days.

hopefully this helps everyone.
Glad someone took the advice I gave a month ago, haha :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
aside from contacting Bestop, has anyone found an actual replacement part for this? i too am in need as the original one fell off somewhere :(

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Bestop would be the only company manufacturing parts for their soft tops. Nothing aftermarket. It's pretty well covered in this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts